Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I will run on a treadmill for 15 mins again.

This next week I hope to improve the time by at least 5 more mins.

Not a lot but this will be my 3rd week running so i hope to build up my running time.

I found my last run hard going but when I got to about 12 mins I seemed to be able to run a bit easier.

Is this something that happens and does it happen on most runs?

Dean:d

·
Registered
9,640 Posts

Dean:d[/QUOTE]

Hi Dean

Yes it happens to almost everyone you are just settling into your run, it can take me up to a mile maybe mile and a half to settle down and start to enjoy the run.

Stick at it you it won't be long before you are running for longer and not even thinking about it, running is extremely progressive.

TT

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TT

I had the best 15 min run so far today on a treadmill.

It seemed well paced, smooth and I enjoyed it.
I set the machine at 10.5kms and hour.

For the last minute and just for fun I upped the speed to 12kms an hour.
Amazing how good it felt to run.

Boy did I sweat

So this coming week I aim to add 5 mins to the time.

I last ran on Thursday. Having the 2 day break in between runs I assume helped today? Would I be right in thinking that?

Dean

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
hi m there are various theories on rest days

for me they are sometimes needed because i am simply to tired to get out there, as much as i would like to !

they also allow your body to absorb the training you're doing .

It's like a lot of things what works for one doesn't always work for another

it's great that you are motivated that's a big positive don't push too hard in the early stages as too much too soon can lead to injury ,lay off and demotivation

take it easy

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Cheriton

I suppose as time goes by I will find my own routine that works best.

I will try a few 1 day rest periods and 2 day rest periods and see what suits me best.

It is easy to want to do more but I am setting myself what I think may be realistic goals.
I am sure experienced runners may be able to guide me if they think I am doing a routine that will cause me harm. I would appreciate if they did:cool:

Dean

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I'd personally not try at this stage to worry about speed but get the distance increased and then go back and start speed / interval training, gradually increase the weekly distance (no more than 10%).

as for rest days, I currently running every other day which suits me ok, but I think to start with you would be governed by how far you have run as to how many days off 'rest' you have.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
mardleybury said:
I found my last run hard going but when I got to about 12 mins I seemed to be able to run a bit easier.

Dean:d

Yeah, the first couple of miles of most runs are the worst... the time it takes for your heart and lungs to "catch up" with your legs! ;)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Granty - Thanks for the advice. I'll try not to make speed a factor. I do find that 10.5kms p/h is how I feel comfortable though. I will try 1 days rest between runs to see how I get on. Thanks

Pedestrian - So it looks like i'm running within the confines of not settling into a run.
Hopefully when I increase my distances I will feel I am getting more out of a run. Thanks

Dean

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
20 Min runs

Just an update

On Friday I did another 20 min run on the treadmill (I know don't say it:embarrassed: ) and had a great run.
I felt good throughout.
This has boosted my confidence.
I am going to do another 20 min tomorrow and then 3 more next week and then I aim to up it to 25 mins the week after all being well.

Dean

·
Registered
835 Posts
richardsimkiss said:
... I couldn't imagine doing 25 mins on a treadmill 3 times a week -.... :d
I do that Mon - Fri at lunchtime while the evenings are still dark, looking froward to getting out in the evening very soon:d

On my longer road runs I always find the first 2 miles the hardest and then any hill after 5 miles can be very hard too!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Richard, I will do the great outdoors soon:)

I did another 20 mins today. Another good run for me.

scr8pe, I finish work early afternoon so I should be able to get outdoors to run before it's dark. I am just trying to build up my running time.

I am just pleased that I am able to run.
I have tried before and failed. Something seems very different this time. I seem to be able to run, I know it's only 20 mins but this is good for me.

Dean

·
Registered
172 Posts
It always take me a few minutes running before I start to feel comfortable. Do you warm-up first? Try running slowly or walking for a few minutes until you your heart rate is up and you're breathing a bit heavier. You should build some rest into your training, it won't do any harm to have a couple of days rest if you train regularly and may improve your performance.
If you're just starting to run distance is more important than speed, try running then walking for a minute or two to recover then running again.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I always use the rowing machine for 15 mins to warm up.

I had being doing my weights routine before running but the last couple of times I have done rowing and then the running.

I managed yesterday to run 20 mins at 10.5kms p/h and did another 9 mins half hour later. In the 9 min session I did increase the speed to 12kms p/h every minute or so to get me running faster.

Tomorrow I aim to run for 30 mins straight off.

This is my 4th week running. I feel I am doing ok and I'm quite happy about it all.

I seem to be running on Wednesday, Fridays and Sundays so rest days are in between.

My goal for next year is the Marathon. Am I likely to achieve it with a years training?

I am biking to work now on Mondays and Wednesdays. 16 mile round trip with a couple of good hills to climb. I got the time down to 25 minutes for 8 mile. I just bought a nice hybrid bike. A lot better than my mountain bike. I also do a cycle around our local reservoir on Saturdays from my home and totals about 12 miles.

Dean

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
without doubt yes, I know people who have never run before and then started a beginers 3 month training plan and run a marathon, I wouldn't recommend it that way, but what you are doing is perfect base training.

go for it, but don't do too much too soon take your time you have ages.

TT

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
TT

I am hoping to build my time up.

I have set myself a goal.

When I can run 1 hour in the gym on the treadmill comfortably I will then go for a run outdoors.

At this moment in time I can't see how anyone can run a marathon but I am going to give myself this whole year to see how I get on. I'm not making myself any promises but really hope I can achieve it.

Dean

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
mardleybury said:
TT

I am hoping to build my time up.

I have set myself a goal.

When I can run 1 hour in the gym on the treadmill comfortably I will then go for a run outdoors.

At this moment in time I can't see how anyone can run a marathon but I am going to give myself this whole year to see how I get on. I'm not making myself any promises but really hope I can achieve it.

Dean
Why are you waiting to go out side? Get out now it much better than the treadmill.

In 6 months max you will know if you can achieve marathon training, just remember how you are now and when your 6 months on you will look back in wonder at you beginnings.

I hope that makes sence

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The truth!!

I'm afraid running outside just yet will put me off running.

I know I can do it in the gym and that is my lifeline.
I'm probably one of the stupid ones who set themselves goals.
I have tried running in the past and always outside.
I FAILED EVERY TIME!

One question that bothers me though....

I know the treadmill is set at a certain speed.
How do you regulate that speed when outdoors? Is it easy?

Dean

1 - 20 of 27 Posts