Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been running cross country now for about 3 months my current time is 26:11. I would love to get it down to a 19:00-21:00. I have a year to get it this low. If this is possible I would love for someone to give me a day by day workout plan for a intermiediate runner. Remeber I have a whole year to do this. Also the farthest I can run without stoping is 4 miles. Any kind of tips pr help would be greatly appreciated.:):d:):d

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Your profile says your 5k best is 16:43? :huh:

Just curious, why do you have a year to achieve this time?

I have been running for a year now, and have got my 5k time down from 29 minutes to 24, and am now just chipping away at it. I guess it depends how much work you are prepared to put in and on your starting level - good luck, I'll be interested to see any training plans that can lead to further success at 5k, although I concentrate on 10k for races and that is my main goal at present - I tend to follow my own plan that has been working for me and am not in a particular rush :cool:

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Training plans are very individual things, and whilst you may be able to find a generic training plan to improve your 5k time, I'd be quite surprised if you managed to find a year long one... basically for your needs, a training plan is unlikely to do you justice, you really need a coach.

You need an initial training plan, which you can feed the results and progress you're making back into so that the plan can be revised, working on your weak points and honing your strong points.

I'm guessing the 26:11 is based on a cross country time, if your 5k PB is <17mins, (which would be useful if you could clarify?) I'm assuming that was track based. But to be honest a >9min difference between track & XC is erm... unbelievable? Obviously XC is tougher, but 3mins/mile slower means something must've gone wrong on the XC 5k.

What limited advice I can offer based on your initial post, is that building up a longer run each week (just the one, doesn't need to be all of them!) will be highly beneficial for you. I'm genuinely suprised that 4miles is your limit of running in one go, yet you're able to maintain 5:27/mi pace for 3.1 miles? Build up your longer runs and get some endurance into you ;)

A 6min improvement for 5k over the course of a year is potentially do-able, but it's certainly not an easy task!

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have been running for a year now, and have got my 5k time down from 29 minutes to 24, and am now just chipping away at it.
I found breaking into the 24's quite tough.... now I don't really seem to progress with it, I generally hit 25, with a decent 24 here and there... although my aim is to increase mileage rather than speed... its still nice to run a decent fast 5k in my schedule....

I too would be interested in plans to improve the 5k times, but as I say, I actually am only interested in slowly building up my long run mileage with the added bonus of faster shorter runs..... I thought that longer runs would improve my shorter times, but I guess there comes a point were some sort of speed work is required to get over the humps one experiences?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts