Runners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running my first marathon in April 08 (for some unknown reason I've decided Paris rather then London). I'm well under way with my training programme but wondered if anyone knew whether it would be possible to bulk up as well as concentrating on the marathon training?

I know it’s quite advisable to mix training with a swim or some weights work but I wondered what the general feelings on taking supplements were? In an ideal world I'd like to put on about 1.5 stone in the next 6 months but not at the expense of a good time in Paris

Also if anyone has ran Paris before and has any tips I’d me more then happy to hear them!

Thanks

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I've never ran Paris (or any other marathon for that matter!) but I'm happy to offer my opinion on bulking up & supplements.

In a nutshell, it is possible to bulk up whilst still marathon training, though any bulk you add on will be detrimental to your marathon time. Ultimately carrying more weight simply means you have to do more work to lug it around to the finish line. In saying that though, weight training will help reduce your body fat percentage, which is ultimately what you're striving for.

I don't see taking supplements as a bad thing at all (food supplements that is!). I take recovery drinks after hard runs as it gives my body the best fuel possible to recover with, a perfect ratio of carbs:protein. Creatine is supposed to help with explosive muscle use (sprinting & weightlifting?) so would be unlikely to benefit your endurance running but may help you bulk up, and whey proteins are purely there to build muscle. I'm not fussed about bulking up so tend to just use the recovery drinks (SIS Rego, SIS Nocte & Maximuscle Recovermax - not all at the same time of course!)

Maximuscle products are very expensive (I only bought a tub as I got it heavily discounted as a one off) and don't seem to make any difference to the SIS products (which certainly aren't cheap either!). Needless to say I pity the fool who uses performance enhancing drugs.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I would speculate that adding 1.5 stone before a marathon would add at least 10-15min to your time, probably more. I would do one goal at a time - get in running shape for the marathon - that will be hard enough in itself.

Then you can build yourself up to your hearts content, which will be much easier if your body is not burning 100's of calories distance running.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I've also heard that losing weight will make you a faster runner than bulking up ever will. Check out your body mass index; if you're 20+ BMI and feel fairly healthy I suggest you don't add any weight.

Paris was my first ever marathon, the course may have changed in between times, but it was really nice. A few gentle inclines, and big big crowds to squeeze through (the first couple of miles will be slow). Nothing too challenging other than the distance though, i "think", and there will hopefully be loads of bands lining the route, playing music. Hope for decent weather.

Let us know how you get on!

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
LazyJones said:
I would speculate that adding 1.5 stone before a marathon would add at least 10-15min to your time, probably more. I would do one goal at a time - get in running shape for the marathon - that will be hard enough in itself.

Then you can build yourself up to your hearts content, which will be much easier if your body is not burning 100's of calories distance running.
I would suggest the same.
I did, not willing to, lose almost 1 stone during the Summer while living in Norway.
Hard work and training, stress and poor nutritional intake were to blame... Or myself :embarrassed:

Anyway, when I came back to Portugal and got a bit more stability, I started eating better and getting more rest. I had, as a goal, getting back to my previous weight.
But I realised that I could take advantage of my light-weught.
So I ate well but still trained hard and focused on the marathon first.
I am very happy with the result and with not having had to carry another 7 pounds with me for 26.2 miles (the rest I did put on but I needed to).

Like LazyJones suggested, one goal at a time will probably be the best option.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I have to admit, the concept of not wanting to lose weight, or wanting to gain more weight is still completely alien to me!!

To want to put more weight on and/or not lose any weight, you must be very slight and should feel very priveledged! :p

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
richardsimkiss said:
I have to admit, the concept of not wanting to lose weight, or wanting to gain more weight is still completely alien to me!!

To want to put more weight on and/or not lose any weight, you must be very slight and should feel very priveledged! :p
:confused: it can be a problem though...
Despite all the talk about people being overweight, being underweight (does the word exist?) can be quite complicated too.
Losing one stone like I did, for my body frame, brought some bad side effects. It was very hard to train and I felt very tired.
And I can assure you that hearing "oh, you're so thin!:huh: " (yes, said with such a face) is not pleasant at all...

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Davidlinlin, I notice you have posted ~20 identical smiley threads on various random topics, then gone on to link a load of shoes for some website.

Are you in any way related to the guy / girl who came on here a while back trying to sell us "cheap Prada Gucci shoes"? :confused:

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Send him round my place... the lawn needs doing :p

Did you see the thread with the pics in? would anyone actually wear those ghastly trainers? lol. and that's coming form me - the guy with illuminous lime green racing shoes :d

1 - 12 of 12 Posts