Runners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Obviously a newbie so I'm hoping some of you more experienced guys can help me out.

I've just started to run (albeit not very well) and am experiencing pain in the top of my legs in the groin area, at the front really. Now I do warm up and do some stretches including stretching my thighs but this pain persists. It's not there when I start to run but gets tighter the farther I go until it is really sore and I need to stop, when I start again the pain is still there. Anyone any ideas what I can do to aleviate this? I would really appreciate your help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello - me too!!!! I've just started running....in the last 6 weeks or so...and on Sunday I did a 10K race. It was great but at the 7K mark I started to get a tight pain at the top of my leg, sort of on the hip area at the front. It was almost as if the tendon or muscle the joins the quads to the hips was what was hurting. It was quite a persistent pain. It didn't stop me racing, I finished. But it was sore, it ached the day afterward so that lifting my leg to get up stairs was sore and the other day, when I went for a small run (3K) it started hurting again. What is this and how do I fix it? I tried to do extra deep lunges in my warm up but to no avail.

So I'm with Jannie on this one - help us please!

·
Registered
7 Posts
running aches

:confused: hy hy from italy i belive your up leg pain is not to worry .but you have start your running traning to much to soon for your body .exspecialy if your age is above 40 approx.so you scould get back to the start point and stay there for minimum of 4to 6 weeks then increse . let me know ciao josef

·
Registered
22 Posts
It might just be that you are pushing yourself to hard too fast. It's best to listen to your what your body tells you.

I've slowing been building up over the month and every sunday I try and push my long runs further than the last, but to start I was only doing a few miles and then stopping. Now i'm running for over 90 mins - even then, i pushed myself a little hard on sunday and am feelingin it now. Luckily work is hectic, so it's forcing me to rest for a few days. Back to it on wednesday though.

Gingerninja > Another forum I visit has a Gingerninja too. Spooky if you are one in the same, but it doubt it - it's Xbox 360 talk...

·
Registered
1 Posts
injuries

on running for 2/3 months i have been picking up the pace (not so much distance) and am now experiencing pulls/cramps in calves/hamstrings etc which slow me down-on reading all the various sites i don't think that i am warming up sufficiently and drinking enough water-my legs almost seem strangely tingly/more alive than before running as if they want to run-what is happening?

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
janine and Gingerninja- I was thinking it might be your TFL (Tensor Fascia Lata) - a decent remedial sports massage will help to tease out any tight spots.

Dave - do you also advise your clients if they have any muscle imbalances and recommend any strengthening exercises

I assume you are both wearing the correct shoes?

·
Registered
55 Posts
running aches

At the clinic we do what you calll corrective exercises. once a person has been biomechanicaly assessed and orthotics have been fitted. or in the case where orthotics are not needed we look at the body alighnment both for the person with orthotics and the person without orthotics and measure muscle dencity and size, quads calves, hamsrtings trapezius ect then if there is a difference we work on evening out the difference by corrective exercise methods. this sometimes takes some time but is worth it. This has to be done by someone who knows what they are doing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think I might have a muscle imbalance, the reason i get the swelling on the side of my knee might be because my quads arent supporting the knee properly and need strengthening.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts