Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess it's not as much of an issue now that it is light, but did any of you ladies go out at night on your own?

I find it difficult to go out without an ipod, so I thought it a little risky to going out in the dark on my own with music on. Don't get me wrong, I do go out at night on my own no problem, just think there's a difference when people can pick up your 'schedule' etc.

I know you shouldn't let fear stop you doing things, but there is such a thing as risk reduction!

Are you ladies tough and go out jogging at night on your own? Do you listen to music? Vary your schedules?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I never run in the dark. I live in a very rural area and most of my running is done either off road or down country lanes. Even in daylight I always take my dog with me! I do like to listen to my ipod while running though but I know that Poppy dog would always let me know if if there was anyone about.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi Nat and Sarah,

Up until the clocks changed i was running in the dark but since the clocks changed its light now. I didn't mind the dark and i don't wear an ipod. although Its more of a pleasure running now it's light all the kids are out and are real pests so i've changed the route i run but now not enjoying the new route so much. i am planning on wearing an ipod and listening to some music as i find it hard and my thoughts flit from one thing to another. do you just keep the music low? so that you can hear traffic etc? what sort of distance do you both run?

Forest

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I love running when it's dark, it really doesn't worry me at all, but I do always stick to main roads where cars frequently go by and depending on how I am feeling I might listen to music.

I can understand also why women wouldn't like to go out by themselves. Morning is supposed to be the safest time to head out on your own, but I struggle to get out of bed :asleep:

TT :d

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi Nat and Sarah,

Up until the clocks changed i was running in the dark but since the clocks changed its light now. I didn't mind the dark and i don't wear an ipod. although Its more of a pleasure running now it's light all the kids are out and are real pests so i've changed the route i run but now not enjoying the new route so much. i am planning on wearing an ipod and listening to some music as i find it hard and my thoughts flit from one thing to another. do you just keep the music low? so that you can hear traffic etc? what sort of distance do you both run?

Forest

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
SWMBO often runs alone....I'm not keen but we can't always run together and she often is unable to make club runs.

She's kickboxed in the past though.......

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Forest - I have two routes - a 4-miler off-road with no street lights and a 6-miler which is a mixture.

I wear my ipod turned up quite high - so I can't hear my footsteps (puts me off!), but I' do look a hell of a lot for cars and other pedestrians behind me - not had any near misses yet!

I feel that running on my own in the dark isn't so much of a problem, it's the fact that I'd have to do it without music. I'll just suck it up and try it one day - I'm sure it wont be as bad as I think!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi Nat,

I'm impressed, i've just got up to the 3 mile mark but am finding it quite a struggle so i've started to do 2 miles in between. How long have you been running for?

Forest

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi Forest,

My usual run is around 4.5 miles but due to a recent knee injury I'm just getting back up to that as I've had to take it easy for several weeks. I occasionally do a longer 6.5 miler aswel but want to go further. I'd love to be able to do a mountain marathon next year! :huh: I do have my ipod up quite high .. especially if I'm feeling a bit tired as it seems to help me keep going. My runs are generally fairly hilly with my favourites being off road across the downs. :d

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi Sarah,

I think i really must start running with some music, i'm sure it will be more enjoyable. i'm setting my goal to do a 10 k run next year so will give me plenty of time to get up that distance.

Forest

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I do those distances, but it's difficult and I do them very slowly! I'm sure it wont do me any good in the long run, but I'm a little too impatient and a little disorganised to do the run/walk thing!

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Is there a mate you can run with, or maybe a club. I've been a bit daft in the past I've ran places where I shouldn't alone. But you're right we should be careful.

You can get those alarms that whistle and hang round your neck.:)

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
dimple said:
Is there a mate you can run with, or maybe a club. I've been a bit daft in the past I've ran places where I shouldn't alone. But you're right we should be careful.

You can get those alarms that whistle and hang round your neck.:)
I've started doing a couple of runs with someone, but you know what it's like when you just want to get out there!

I think that I'm louder than those alarms when I get a strop on :d

·
Registered
21 Posts
I used to run on my own, and I used to run in the dark a lot.
Sometimes I took music with me, and i only had the headphone in one ear, so that I could hear what's going on around me.
I tried to stick to main roads and my neighbourhood - which was a bit boring for long runs... but I never encountered a problem - luckily.
These days, however, I run with a friend - it's so much more fun and it beats the iPod!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I run on my own, but only in daylight. I used to get up early and run in the mornings, but I can't see to haul myself out of bed that early anymore, so have to run the gauntlet of the hoodies. Last week a gang of kids threw stones at me, and another runner who was not far in front of me. Little brats...

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
I run on my own, but only in daylight. I used to get up early and run in the mornings, but I can't see to haul myself out of bed that early anymore, so have to run the gauntlet of the hoodies. Last week a gang of kids threw stones at me, and another runner who was not far in front of me. Little brats...
:evil: That is awful!!!!!! Did you report them? God what is it with kids these days! :mad:

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Its because they can get away with it that they do! :mad: though if you tried to do anything yourself I'm sure you'd soon feel the wrath of the law :evil:

It's frustrating how they only seem to pick on people who they think aren't going to retaliate... I've run passed many groups before who've not said a word, though you can guarantee if they'd been driving past in a car they'd have shouted something. I've never been mocked, pelted with stones spat at etc by people on foot - but I'd take a guess (and not wanting to sound sexist here at all) but if I was a female who they felt could easily be intimidated, they'd say or do something to make me feel threatened.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
The teens round our way are fairly well-behaved, touch wood, but I have to admit my heart sinks if I see a group of them in the distance. Is that racist against teenagers? ;)

I won't run alone in the dark, so I want to join the local running club to ensure I get in at least a couple of runs through the week this winter, but so far I can't run either far enough or fast enough to join the slow group! :embarrassed:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts