Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting a new job tomorrow which will involve shift work and was wanting some advice with regards running and when to do it.

My shifts will vary in start time and length, they can be anything from 7 to 12 hour shifts and can start between 7am and 7pm and the shift pattern is also irregular.

I'm currently trying to run 3 to 4 times per week, Monday, Wednesday and Friday evenings and Sunday mornings where possible.

With regards night shifts would it be better to run before or after the shift?
Should I just stick to my current schedule but at different times of the day?
Is it all just down to personal preference?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Hi Graeme,

Welcome to the forum. I have works shifts for 5 years now, but only been running since last April. Well, it has advantages and disadvantages, firstly whilst everyone else is struggling to run in the daylight in winter, shift work usually allows you to get out sometime in the daytime. But on the negative side your body has to cope with the irregular hours, odd eating patterns and tiredness.

I often run at 11:00 at night, or early in the morning before a 'late'. But this week I am up at 3:15....ugh, and try and run in the afternoon, after doing chores etc, but I am usually very tired. I can't run within a couple of hours of going to bed either as I can't sleep.
I could go on for ages, but you will really need to try it out for yourself and see how it goes. I can't join a club because of my hours, but I have found a running partner and we meet at 'odd' times.
You WILL find time to fit running in, just not at regular times.

Wishing you all the luck, stick with it, see how it works for you, but don't try and do too much the first week or two.

Lyn.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that Lyn, I'll give it a bash and see what happens.

I was just struck by an idea tonight whilst out running. My work is just on the edge of one of the large London parks and has full showering and changing facilities so I might be able to put this to good use and run before/after a shift !

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Hi Graeme.

Like yourself and Baggy I work unsociable hours too.
However,since switching to nights last September I have found that I cope better fitting the runs in.
I try to ignore the "real" time of day and only consider the way my body is actually feeling.
Although I generally start work at the same time of night I don't always finish at the same time of morning.I've tried doing my shorter runs when I get home from work but don't always feel great.
I now run an hour after breakfast (anytime between noon and 2pm),stay awake,do my shift,go to bed then repeat the process when I wake.

I much prefer this way compared to when I worked the day shift.
Strangely,I feel more relaxed and feel as if I have more time.
Good luck with it.i'm sure you'll soon establish a routine that suits you.

·
Registered
813 Posts
graeme said:
Thanks for that Lyn, I'll give it a bash and see what happens.

I was just struck by an idea tonight whilst out running. My work is just on the edge of one of the large London parks and has full showering and changing facilities so I might be able to put this to good use and run before/after a shift !

Good idea, some people here do that, especially in the summer. Much as I hate being tired, I wouldn't give up shift work and go back to standard working days, I do 'normal' days occasionally and I hate it!

Good luck,

keep us posted as to how you are getting on.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well so far this week I've not had a chance to try any of the suggestions out as I'm only working day shifts for the first couple of weeks. I've also struck another problem in the shape of my first running related injury :(

I went out on Tuesday evening and felt great when I got back home, until I tried to kneel down! From reading other posts on the forum I suspect it's a case of 'runners knee'. I looked it up on the web and the signs and symptoms sound exactly the same as mine.
I've rested it up since it happened and I'm hoping to get out in the park on Sunday if it's feeling better but I don't want to try too much too soon. I'm hoping that running on the grass in the park will be a bit easier on the knee than running on the roads lie I normally do.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Graeme - Could you not run to and from work...?

Running clubs often meet on Sunday mornings aswell as week days. Check out your local club. We have members that turn up once or twice a year on club nights, but meet up with other members on Sunday mornings when not at work.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dale the Snail said:
Graeme - Could you not run to and from work...?

Running clubs often meet on Sunday mornings aswell as week days. Check out your local club. We have members that turn up once or twice a year on club nights, but meet up with other members on Sunday mornings when not at work.
The journey to work is about 12 miles each way which is way beyond me at the moment, so running there is out of the question!

My shift patterns are worked over seven days so I don't get weekends or regular days off so it looks like joining a club is out of the question as well :(

·
Registered
231 Posts
Well, never mind then about joining a club, or the distance to your work. Fortunately, running is an ideal sport to do on one's own too, so don't be disheartened.

Meanwhile, I hope your knee has improved. It certainly pays to not do too much too quickly, and if your knee needs a break, then it is better to give it one and restart when things are better again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts