Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually run down the local trailway of an evening, I like it down there as its easy to work out far I'm going and its fairly quiet with the odd dog walker and family bike ride around you. Ive noticed its getting darker earlier now and soon it will be too dark to run down there at night as its not lit at all and I dont want to be running with a torch and my boyfriends dissaproving shouts ringing in my ears!

Where do you lot run at this time of the year when it gets darker earlier? I dont have a local park and the local streets tend to be thronging with the usual youths who like to look big and scarey, help!

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Sounds like you need to find safety in numbers for road running....a club nearby maybe?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what about running in the morning or in your lunch break?
I have to get up at 6.30am to get ready for work and theres no way I'm getting up any earlier to run, its dark then anyway. As for lunchtime we only get 30mins break so I cant run then either.

Looks like I'll have to traipse around the streets avoiding the kiddies!

·
Registered
943 Posts
I guess I'm going to have to start running without my ipod :( I don't mind running in the dark at all, but it'd be a bit silly to run in the dark AND with limited hearing.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Lizy I'd recommend finding a running partner or joining a running club

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I agree with SE, joining a club is probably your best bet. In wintertime our club do intervals round a local trading estate, hill reps where it's lit but mainly traffic-free - and we also have a floodlit track to run on.
Cheers!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I tend to run on the local cycle path when it's too dark to do the trails near me. It's well lit and is to the side of a main road so it seems pretty safe.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I run on the roads or round the poorly lit park, but only if my great dane Max comes too. The yoofs are scared of us:p

I suspect for longer runs (Max can't really manage more than nine miles) I may end up needing to use the treadmill as I don't want to run round and round the city centre but the quiet streets round me aren't that safe.

I'm thinking about joining a club for the winter.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I didn't think Great Danes would go that far...bone structure not good enough for such a large dog...one of my bruvs has 2 Great Danes.

Don't think about it...do it!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I have to get up at 6.30am to get ready for work and theres no way I'm getting up any earlier to run, its dark then anyway. As for lunchtime we only get 30mins break so I cant run then either.
Depends on your circumstances but a great way to sort it - is to incorporate it into your daily commute.

If you are close enough - run in, if you use public transport - get off a few miles early and run the last bit. If you use a car - park a few miles away and run from there.

You could choose to do this on the way in, or on the way home, or both (although if you use a car - it'll be problematic if you only do it one way).
And although it'll probably be dark in the middle of winter on the way home - you'd probably feel safer at 5 o'clock'ish rather than later on.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I would second the idea of joining a running club.

There's safety in numbers, plus the company of other runners might make up for the lack of music on your runs.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The idea of running into or home from work is a good one, its only 6 miles away though once I start driving into work I dont know how I would manage it!

I think the running club is the best bet, the local one goes out twice a week I think. I decided for the time being to go out straight after work while its still light and there are plenty of people about down the trailway. It seems to curb my apetite for dinner though which is strange

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
If you do go out of an evening on your own I would suggest taking a torch but not to use it unless you are faced with oncoming traffic on an unlit road and even then just point it at a downwards angle just to give the driver a headsup on your running on the side of the road. I certainly would not use it on the trail. When you use a torch you can only see what is in the direct light of the torch and not beyond it thereby severly limiting your field of view, also the torch lets groups of yobbos know you are coming they will be able to see you long before you see them. If you have the torch switched off they will see you at the same time you see them thereby not giving them any warning. The other thing to consider if it is a bit rough take a heavier torch like a D cell Maglite. Handy if you need to use it against someone.

Does any of that make sense to anyone?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wouldnt need a torch as the streets are well lit round here. Theres no way I'm going down the trailway or on the roads at night as theres no light whatsoever and I just generally wouldnt feel safe

·
Registered
228 Posts
I didn't think Great Danes would go that far...bone structure not good enough for such a large dog...one of my bruvs has 2 Great Danes.

Don't think about it...do it!

I wasn't allowed to run with him until he was 18 months and had to build his fitness gradually. (that was o.k. though as had to build mine too). Nine miles is his absolute max, he's fine doing five, o.k. with seven and totally cabbaged by nine. He's young and fit, wouldn't take the old dog running at all.

I am just a bit scared by local running club. They have a very unfriendly statement on their website saying to join you must be able to run for an hour non-stop. I can run for 2 but I still find it a bit off putting and not very beginner friendly. Think I'll have to bite the bullet now I've signed up for the marathon though.

Lizzy I wish running curbed my appetite. All I want to do when I get home is eat eat eat!

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
I couldnt believe it last night, came back in from my club run, had a shower in the club house and when I came out it was starting to get dark and it was only 8:30pm!

I think my long runs will be limited to running with the club during the winter and doing just short 30-40 mins runs round a route I have near my house which is well lit.

O.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts