Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not posted on here much recently, mainly due to the fact that I haven't run much recently. After groin pull at beginning of August, then had a sore calf, followed by sore big toe and for the last week terrible backache. Hubby got sick of me sulking round the house cos I couldn't run and made me go to see a physio. She prodded, poked and bent me (think I will be covered in thumb shaped bruises tomorrow! :eek: )

Anyway it turns out as a result of being a swot as a teenager and then spending adult years in desk jobs, I have an extremely inflexible spine, which is causing problems, as are my really tight calf muscles. Apparently been doing rubbish stretches too. Might have gotten away with it if I had stayed with the really slow running on flat surfaces, but going too quick on hilly off road terrain a bit of a shock for my poor old body:rolleyes:

So no running at all for two weeks :( , got to do my stretches every day - properly, and for long enough (yes miss!) then off for some deep tissue massage (is that as painful as it sounds?!)

Dunno why I'm posting this really tho :embarrassed: just looking for a hug I guess!!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Awwww :(

At least it's only 2 weeks, and you'll run a lot easier when your muscles are better. And get less injuries :p

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
BIG HUG

Gosh this has really got the better of you, two weeks will pass in no time. You probably don't feel too great as you are not getting any natural highs that you get from running, are you only allowed to stretch? Can you do any other exercise that will exert you? for instance cycling.

Have you tried yoga at all this will make you very flexible I have used Barbara Currie dvd's and have found them very good. It can be extremely relaxing.

Hope this cheers you up, don't lose sight of what you have achieved so far.

Keep posting it is essential to your happiness :d

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Keep your chin up GS. It's good that you've discovered the cause of your problems and the two weeks will fly by. :d

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys ;)

Yes TT, am allowed to cycle etc just not run, so will try and get some endorphins from that.

Also told yoga would be very good for me, so going to look into that.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
GoSlow said:
Thanks guys ;)

Yes TT, am allowed to cycle etc just not run, so will try and get some endorphins from that.

Also told yoga would be very good for me, so going to look into that.

That's good news although very frustrating.

I am seeing an osteopath myself at the moment due to tight muscles in my back on the right hand side and I have been given my orders to do certain stretches, although the problem doesn't impede my running I have started to notice that the shooting pain I was getting is now becoming less and less, so fingers crossed for you GS :d

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Fingers crossed for GoSlow, maybe this, and the new found knowledge of stretching properly may make your running easier for you. So chin up.
Like TT aswell iv been sent stretching excercise that iv just started doing for muscle spasm that i have in my neck. Running doesnt help this so im hoping this will prove successful si im not in so much pain.
God at this rate we will all be new vibrant women after!!!!!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Sorry to hear that GS, still, at least you know what has been causing it and 2 weeks is not that long. Considering all the aches and pains you've had recently you deserve to get a good trot of injury free running soon !!

ATB

G.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts