Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as some of you will have read, tonight was the night for me to visit the second running club which is local to me. Here is my report from my training blog:

Had my first club run tonight and it was a handicap 5mile race. I wasnt sure on my pace so said it would take me approx 50mins to run the 5miles. I was in the first group to head off since we were the slower runners.
I followed the group to the half way point and then it was just a loop back to the start so they said if I felt like pushing on and if I could remember the route back then just to go for it.
So on that note I did. 25mins to the half way mark and I was feeling fine, only another 2.5 miles to go and a lot of it was down hill.
This is the first time I had met any of the running club and on my return leg the number of people who gave words of encouragement was great! It really made it feel like a race, but in a really friendly way, it felt great being out front even it was due to the handicap start.
I even found myself checking behind me to see if anyone was on my heels and to my suprise there wasnt!
I started to wonder where the fast runners had gone because I reckoned they should have been closing on me.
The second half of the run was starting to get warm again and I didnt take any water with me, wish I had because I was feeling like I really needed a drink. I had drunk a lot before the run but the heat just took it out of me.

I was one of the first to start and I was the first to cross the finish line :) Ok, I wasnt the first really since it was the handicap that allowed me to get a head start but I was pleased anyway. I had come in 6 minutes faster than my estimate and I can see why people enjoy the shorter races, you can really put your all in to them and go for it.

Im heading away on holiday for a week and a half on Thursday so wont be able to make it to their long run this Thursday night or attend any of the runs next week but I will be going back the following Tuesday. I think I have found the running club I was looking for, really great people, everyone welcomed me in to their club with open arms and all the guys shook my hand and congratulated me on a good run. It felt great.

I even won a prize although Im not official a member of the club yet, a bag of aero bubbles :d

I would recommend anyone to go and find a club to run with, if the first club you visit isnt for you,(which is what happened to me) find another one which is local to you and you never know, it might become your regular place to run. The club house they have is great, they have a gym full of weights, changing rooms with showers and I think there is a canteen up the stairs, although Im not 100% about that.

Really looking forward to the winter session now as I really think my PB's are going to become better and better with the help and training the club will be able to give me. Having a regular run with these guys and gals will also make sure I stick with it over the colder / wetter nights and it means I don't need to run on my own in the dark evenings.

Brilliant night and really looking forward to the next meet :d

So my final time according to my stopwatch was 44mins 19seconds, I don't get an official time until I join the club but Im happy with the time I have on my watch.

O.

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what was wrong with the first club you visited?
I went along and tried to introduce myself but there wasnt really anyone who was interested. I wasn't asked any questions about my running ability, they had to running groups that night a long run and a shorter, easier run. I was going to go on the long run but by the time I had put my water belt on they had gone! No-one asked me what group I would like to be in so they didnt wait! I just didnt feel welcome there to be honest.
This other club is the complete opposite, before I went out on my run I was asked my background from running, was introduced to some of the fellow runners and the road running manager made sure I had others to run with instead of letting me fend for myself.

Brilliant night and still buzzing from it :)

O.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
That is briliant news, bet you can't wait to go back, enjoy your holiday :d

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ye, really looking forward to heading back, just noticed I wont be able to take part in the next handicap race though :( I will be down south at a wedding.......that is really annoying!

O.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
That was a great read Owain, cheers for sharing it - ot's brightened up my morning no end! (sounds sad doesn't it! lol).

Fantastic that you had such a good experience, that's exactly how clubs should be! And you're right, your PB's WILL come tumbling down - especially if you keep doing races and shorter faster sessions with them. The 'group' atmosphere really does help to recreate that race feeling and take away some of the extra percieved effort. I often run along with the club and glance at my Garmin only to think "Bloody hell, are we really running that fast??!!". It's this running at higher intensities that helps lift our natural running speed, and best of all you often don't even notice the difference in training load - it can even seem easier because you look forward to going to the club :)

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was really suprised at my pace last night! I did have my garmin on but I was enjoying my run so much I forgot to look at it :) Looking forward to running in the 40 / 45min group next time, which I guess will be in September now and really pushing myself. Its funny, I came in to work and told the guys I have ran with in the past about the club. It was a great experience.

The last couple of weeks when I have gone out running on my own, I havent felt like I was running, if that makes sense, but last night I felt like a runner again :)
Watch out for more reports from my club experiences in the near future....will probably just keep adding to this thread to save clogging up the forum :d

O.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Ye, really looking forward to heading back, just noticed I wont be able to take part in the next handicap race though :( I will be down south at a wedding.......that is really annoying!

O.
Hope the couple who`s wedding your going to isn`t reading this O..............:d

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol, its my cousins wedding but I havent seen them in 8 or more years. I don't really know them hence the reason I can't really be bothered about going but hey, needs must :)

Im looking forward to getting back to Tiree next week, 2.5 miles of sand to run on and the island is mostly flat so should get some good runs in. Found the hill I have been running up in the woods near my flat really helped last night, I just said to myself that if I can run up "The Hill" then this is just a wee incline and it seemed to work.
After that I will be heading back to the running club and will keep you all updated. If you miss anything a copy of the report will be in my training blog.

O.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I am glad you liked the running club O. it makes all the difference to how you feel about yourself and the support is brilliant, even the comments from other clubs is lovely, i have had other clubs cheering me in on a race.

Our club is friendly and would welcome beginners with open arms, after all everyone started as one at some point in there lives.... and thats what the faster runners have to remember...not all of us has the ability of becoming an elite unfortunately but we try i guess in our own way just as hard. :p

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
lol, its my cousins wedding but I havent seen them in 8 or more years. I don't really know them hence the reason I can't really be bothered about going but hey, needs must :)

O.
Trust there's a free bar O!!:d

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Our club is friendly and would welcome beginners with open arms, after all everyone started as one at some point in there lives.... and thats what the faster runners have to remember...not all of us has the ability of becoming an elite unfortunately but we try i guess in our own way just as hard. :p
Well said....and arguably it's harder if you are a slower runner...not necessarily in terms of physical effort but psychologically.

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Trust there's a free bar O!!:d
Erm, Im not sure! I know there are free bacon rolls after the meal as evening nibbles! I have been told though that they are not allowed a live band for the reception because there is another wedding next door and the noise would be heard so we will have a singer with a backing track! Not even a band but a CD!! Sounds a bit to Wedding Singer'ish for me!
All the males of the Scottish side of the family have been told they must wear kilts, I would have anyway but to be told is a bit OTT! I have a horrible feeling they will play "Donald wheres your trousers" at some point during the night and then the ladies try and look up your kilts to see if your a true Scot or not.....if we tried to look up the ladies skirts we would get a slap or get arrested......oh don't get me started!!!!!!! :mad:

O.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
do it I dare ya, they wouldn't do it again ha ha

·
Registered
3,495 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If it was a free bar then the Scottish heading down south to the wedding would have the place drunk dry before the meal was even serviced and we would still be looking for more!
O.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts