Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya

I'm tempted to join a running club, but they are really, chronically disorganised. I vaguely remember another club I joined being similar :confused: Do they generally know what they are doing, and was I just unlucky in my choices? Or do you have to bear with it a bit and be more patient than I can usually manage? :p

For example, today's run (although they were slightly better the other time I ran with them) no-one knew who was meant to be in which group, no-one I spoke to had any suggestions, and no-one in the group I tagged along with realised i was there, or noticed when I fell behind :mad: I mean, they are clubs for sensible adults, you don't expect to be led by the hand, but do they generally have at least some organisation? What have other people experienced?

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Katten... I think you have been extremely unlucky to only find clubs like that. All the clubs I know of and especially the one Rich and I belong to are very well organised.

I guess some clubs can be more welcoming to new members than others though, so I'd suggest researching another one. It's a real benefit belonging to a club in more ways than one, but you need to feel happy within the club also.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
I went to Kenilworth Runners for the second time last night... absolutely loved it! The chairmen and 'group leader' were both very friendly and chatty with me.

from the sounds of things you were very unlucky and should try a few clubs until you find one that you feel comfortable with. I'm not sure how you've approached clubs in the past, but if you give them a call beforehand it'll give you a heads up of what to expect and also somebody to 'report to' on your first arrival.

Go for it - you won't regret it! (i'll buy you a drink if you do!) :d

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Katten said:
Someone mentioned alcohol?? :d
No thanks; certainly not at this time of the morning anyway! :d

I'd agree by saying that your club "experience" sounds to be an exception rather than the rule. Going by what I seem to come across regarding clubs and new members; people usually bend over backwards to integrate newbies into their ranks. (... or is that yoga clubs that do that...? ).

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I joined a running club on Tuesday, it was their last midweek run before christmas so there were only a few going out, normally there is about 60 -70, it must look like a mini race when it leaves the sports centre.

I hope to gain alot from this so I look forward to going back in the new year.

Just thought I would share that with you :d

Katten did you find a club in the end?

TT

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Nice one TT.

I`m sure you will gain a lot from it.

Must do it myself one day..

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Katten,
I see you are in Exeter have you been out with South West Road Runners?

Actually the clubs I've been to are a bit like you describe but then some are the completely opposite and are very very structured.

Most clubs will usually have two training nights - one where they do structureed speed sessions or hill reps and then one where they will run in groups usually based on pace (usually large clubs) or in the case of smaller clubs they will run as a group but someone wll hang back with the slower runners.

I'm currently training with two clubs but I'm thinking of defecting from one to the other because they are more friendly and I don't feel that because I'm slow that I'm not getting enough encouragement. However the other club has a more eclectic mix of members that some might consider odd.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
thanks all, I am looking forward to the new year so I can go out again with them :d

1 - 11 of 11 Posts