Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having been slightly sceptical / nervous about going for a long time, some of you will know I took the plunge a while back with a club that was just starting up. Thought this might be a useful post for anyone just starting out and has fears / concerns about joining like I did.

I've now been going regularly for a couple of months and I can honestly say I now wonder why I was ever concerned, very friendly people, great runs and importantly for me I'm now running closer to my target of 9 min miles that I would have ever been running on my own.

There is a vast range of different speeds of people at the club but the 3 different groups that go out are spot on.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
That is great news Granty so glad it has had such a positive effect on you :d

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, It's a shame I did not do it a long time ago, I found that running on my own or with my mate we ended running at the same pace whenever we went out, same routes and it was becoming a real drag to go.

Don't think I'll ever make it into the 'quick' group - they all look like they need a good feed ! :p:d

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I'm in the quick group nowadays (just) :d
I would also comment and urge anyone thinking about joining a club to just do it... I can honestly say joining a running club was the most productive thing I've ever done in terms of improving my running.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I started running with my club a couple of months ago, and I run faster just to keep up with the buggers. But yes I've enjoyed it and the folks are so friendly. One night I even did some sprint work with them, but was so sore the next few days it hurt just to laugh. :d

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Glad everyone is having a positive time. I went to the running club near me last week and I don't think I will go back.
There was no intro or anything, they didnt even say what I was meant to do so I ended up in the slow group because the other groups had shot off before I had a chance to put my water bottle belt on!
40min run and at the end they were doing warm downs when I was only starting to warm up.....I should go back and go out in the faster group but to be honest, I think I prefer running on my own.

O.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry to hear that Owain, you description was exactly the concerns that had put me off joining a club for ages, I guess you got unlucky, might be worth goping back to give it another shot just to see if it's the same again.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I am a complete soloist.... and have ummmed and arrred about checking out my local club...

The fact you are saying it has improved your mins/mile sells it to me a bit, but I am not sure I would like group running compared to donning the iPod and disappearing within myself for a couple of hours.... or perhaps I am just an unsocialable miserable sod :cool:

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't soley run with the club and still go out out with my tunes on (in fact some people run with them on at the club).

But it's a guarenteed run at a fast(ish) pace once a week that I like. - go on, give it a go.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
running with others always helps to pull you along at a faster pace than you might do on your own... it also seems to fatigue you less.

I've been at my club almost 7 months and knocked around 45sec/mile off my 10k race pace... can't argue with that!

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Good stuff Granty............

....I don't want to say I told you so folks but....

... I seem to recall telling you so!!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Nice one, Granty :)

I found fairly similar to Owain when I joined a club; difficult to join in the groups or conversations, or figure out which group was going at vaguely my pace. It could have been that they were a little disorganised due to the time of year, though.

Have yet to find any running clubs in Poland; might give one a try if I do, even if just to put something unpronounceable down on the "Club" section of race entry forms :cool:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Slowsteve said:
You're an Accountant. Nuff said.:p
:d :d :d

Thats a fair point :d

·
Registered
298 Posts
Slowsteve said:
I should also confess....so am I:embarrassed:
HAHAHA! :cool:

Theres a whole world out there and it all needs accounting for! :cool:

I try not to think about it...... :embarrassed:

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
When I walk into the office where our Accountants sit there is silence. They are all such "quiet" people. Why is that?

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
dimple said:
When I walk into the office where our Accountants sit there is silence. They are all such "quiet" people. Why is that?

They are all concentrating on their Runners forum posts.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts