Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now here is the thing - running up hill nightmare but grit teeth and bear it. Downhill I seem to be going really slowly and leaning back too much etc. Any tips on how to cope with it so it doesn't knacker out my back in the process??

Started 4 weeks ago properly and am now doing 7 miles outdoors ok - why did I ever run on a treadmill??

cheers

Leigh

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Treadmills are always a nice way to introduce yourself to running, but once you've experienced running outside, treadmills just aren't the same again!!! ...at least that's my experience of them.

As for running downhill... best method I've always found is to just try and stand tall, don't forcefully lean back (or forwards!) and just try to control your leg turnover without slapping your feet down and braking heavily... I always find that I can descend hills pretty quickly by 'just' staying in control and letting gravity do all the hard work :d

·
Registered
634 Posts
There was a recent thread on this, which helped me a lot - although I can't find it now. Someone (I think it may have been Revenged) suggested shortening your stride and increasing your leg cadence when running downhill. I tried it - it worked, you just kind of glide down. Previously, my instinct was to lengthen my stride going downhill - but it just causes too much jarring on the joints.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Would you not go faster by simply lengthening your stride, so that your just falling downhill, or does that do too much damage to your joints?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts