Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i currently run 3 times per week, and i want to increase to everyday, or 6 times per week. should i just start running everyday next week, or add a day each week until i have got up to everyday?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I did see a thread the other week about running every day...

I'm a new runner and don't think I'd quite manage every day.. I currently do every other day and my legs are glad of the rest in between.

:)

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
The answer is no... you need to build up gradually or you'll face injury.

The general rule is increase your weekly mileage by 10%, however if for instance you're running 3 days a week totalling something like 12 miles, then you could add another day and do 2 miles... but I wouldn't do any more than that initially.

Be guided by what your body is telling you, if it feels too much then cut back slightly. If you respect your body then it generally doesn't take too long to build up your stamina and mileage

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I was running 5 or 6 days a week until I woke up with a stinking cold AGAIN :mad: Why is it that happens as soon as I'm getting somewhere??

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
roadrunner84 said:
I was running 5 or 6 days a week until I woke up with a stinking cold AGAIN :mad: Why is it that happens as soon as I'm getting somewhere??
The sad (but unfortunately true) fact is, RR, that the fitter you get... the nearer you are to being injured or becoming ill. That's running, I'm afraid. There's a very fine line between being on top of your game and "going over the edge". Sometimes it's possible to "balance" on that knife-edge; but the trick is in being able to recognise when you're there and adjust your running (maybe back-off a little?) accordingly.

I must admit to having something of a paranoia regarding colds and the like. What I'm about to add is rather controversial and is bound to provoke some conflicting posts... I'm not recommending this course of action, merely relating my own personal experience...
... Whenever I so much as suspect that I'm coming down with a cold, I deliberately "overdose" on Vitamin C. (Actually, I don't think it's technically possible to overdose on vitamin C, as the body is unable to store it in any significant amount. It's water-soluble, and is passed out in urine, so it's constantly being flushed from the system). Anyway, I'll take up to 4000mg of the stuff throughout the day in liquid form, so that I can spread the dosage out evenly, rather than flooding the system all at once.
I've heard of several scientific reports which claim that Vitamin C has little or no influence on boosting the immune system; and that too much of it is harmful... but I've been successful (more often than not) over the past 20 years or so, in fending off colds if I've been able to spot the symptoms early enough. However, some forms of the common cold (and 'flu, generally) are just too virulent to be beaten back by vitamins; so there isn't a 100% success rate.:(
Maybe there's something in the fact that I believe in the method that aids my cause. It doesn't matter, if it works!

WARNING: HIGH DOSES OF VITAMIN C CAN ACT AS A DIURETIC (dehydrate the system).

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Aye I always used to nick my housemate's soluble vitamin C tablets. Maybe it's about time I got my own :) I was supposed to have run 10 miles yesterday and am disappointed not to have done so... but then aside from my cold, I did lock myself out of my house, too, which meant waiting until my sister was home with a spare key at 8pm... oh dear :embarrassed: The odds were stacked against me that day! Thanks for the advice, pedestrian!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
roadrunner84 said:
Aye I always used to nick my housemate's soluble vitamin C tablets. Maybe it's about time I got my own :) I was supposed to have run 10 miles yesterday and am disappointed not to have done so... but then aside from my cold, I did lock myself out of my house, too, which meant waiting until my sister was home with a spare key at 8pm... oh dear :embarrassed: The odds were stacked against me that day! Thanks for the advice, pedestrian!
And you used that as an excuse not to go ........ shocking :p

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
It's a plant of the daisy family which is used to reduce the effects of colds .
It is also used in other products I think you can get a herbal tea with it in as well

Some people are allergic to plants from the daisy family so the usual thing applies Its up to you whether or not you take it

If you google it there's loads of info about it!;)

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I think that there is a lot to be said for BELIEVING in the cures/safeguards that we each employ (which naturally brings into question the efficacy of those dietary supplements). I've frequently come across media-reported scientific opinions which question the ability of Vitamin C to protect against colds; but my belief has never been swayed. Either it works anyway; or it works because I think it works. In the end, it doesn't really matter. ;)

·
Registered
199 Posts
I agree with you 100% pedestrian. I've read of amazing results with drug trials where the patients with the most beneficial outcome of the drugs were taking the placebo!

A lot of colds occur because we are run down and our natural defences are at a low. Even believing vitamin C will work is probably enough to put us in a better frame of mind and bolster our own body.

Anyhoo.. touch wood, I've had my annual cold for the year. It was the usual affair of me with bits of tissue stuck up my nostrils, wrapped in a blanket watching re-runs of Dads Army... always a great two days...!

:d

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
[
Anyhoo.. touch wood, I've had my annual cold for the year. It was the usual affair of me with bits of tissue stuck up my nostrils, wrapped in a blanket watching re-runs of Dads Army... always a great two days...!

:d[/QUOTE]

Wow what a vision ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts