Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following on from the 'books' thread... what films have people come across related to running?? I've searched but can't really find much;

Forest Gump (which although contains running, isn't really about running, or sport)
Chariots of Fire - Enjoyed it very much when I finally managed to get hold of it!

I remember watching a film called American Flyers, about two brothers and competitive cycling, I think then one brother has a terminal illness or something... it's an absolutely fantastic film and I wish there was a running equivalent!

Can anyone recommend anything else?

·
Registered
98 Posts
lilactime said:
lonliness of the long distance runner . the best
I love this film.

Theres a film called 'Running' staring Michael Douglas in his earlier years.

I wouldn't say it was worth buying, but you can rent it off Amazon.
Actually it might even be cheaper to buy than rent.

Not the best film ive ever seen, kind of do enjoy just seeing people run.
It not even a bad film, its just an old film basically and look very dated.

I like the film about Roger Bannister sub 4 min mile.
Though it was a good film, worth a watch.

Theres a few DVD on amazon about running training, a bit too technical for me.

Amazon rental is pretty decent, I only tend to watch DVD's once, twice at most so I get to see a lot of dvds without breaking the bank.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Watched Chariots of Fire last night.... my grandfather was a very fast man in the 1920's and used to race Liddle... but I just found the film full of insperation.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Watched Chariots of Fire last night.... my grandfather was a very fast man in the 1920's and used to race Liddle... but I just found the film full of insperation.

Is it in the genes Neil?

The four minute mile with Richard Huw, Nique Needles and Michael York was a watchable film. I won't spoil it by revealing the ending for you though.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
871 Posts
THE GAMES (1970) starring Michael Crawford
PREFONTAINE (1997) and WITHOUT LIMITS (1998) both about the true story of Steve Prefontaine.
THE LONG RUN (2001) An elderly coach trains a woman amateur to try to win the 54 mile 'Comrade's Marathon'
THE TERRY FOX STORY (1983) a docudrama, true tory of Terry Fox who decided to run accross Canada with one leg.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Across the Tracks, featuring a very young Brad Pitt. I can't say it was all too good, then again I don't think many sports films are. I just don't think the unscripted unfolding drama of sport works in a scripted, almost sterile movie ethos.

Though I have to say following the post above, I love the film Prefontaine.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I've seen one on Haile Gebrselassie but don't know the name of it

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I remember watching a film called American Flyers, about two brothers and competitive cycling, I think then one brother has a terminal illness or something... it's an absolutely fantastic film and I wish there was a running equivalent!

Can anyone recommend anything else?
That's a great film. Haven't seen it for about 10 years, but it was amazing, and I'm not even into cycling. Kevin Costner played the older brother.

Here is a movie montage :)

YouTube - American Flyers Montage

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
THE GAMES (1970) starring Michael Crawford
PREFONTAINE (1997) and WITHOUT LIMITS (1998) both about the true story of Steve Prefontaine.
THE LONG RUN (2001) An elderly coach trains a woman amateur to try to win the 54 mile 'Comrade's Marathon'
THE TERRY FOX STORY (1983) a docudrama, true tory of Terry Fox who decided to run accross Canada with one leg.
you've reminded me of that Michael Crawford one, saw it years ago and enjoyed it but it might not have stood the test of time, does not seem to be available.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Id really like to see Prefontaine!

·
Registered
871 Posts
you've reminded me of that Michael Crawford one, saw it years ago and enjoyed it but it might not have stood the test of time, does not seem to be available.
I can't find it either...
...but while searching...
I came across this brilliant RUNNING MOVIES website and there are certainly a few on there that caught my eye.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I gather Bob will make you a copy if you contact him
Welcome To My Home Page

1 - 20 of 33 Posts