Runners Forum banner

Running first thing in the morning

3K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  Granty 
#1 ·
Last few weeks I've found my usual mid-week runs just not happening because of getting held up at work or social things. I'm thinking of switching to running before going to work. Question is this - I do a Sunday morning run, but because my time's my own I have breakfast (just cereal and tea) then wait a while before running. Without the luxury of all that time before going to work I think I would need to run after getting up, then have breakfast afterwards. Anybody else run on an empty stomach in the morning - how do you feel ?

#4 · (Edited)
I have only ever run a few times in the morning, more of a late bird, but I have to say I felt better and ran quicker than when I run in the evening. Only ever went out for about 45 / 50 mins.

I had a banana before I went, felt starving when I got back but apart from that no ill effects through running on a near empty stomach. I guess each person will be different, best go for a shortish test to see how you feel.

#6 ·
I like running first thing, especially in the summer, but energy levels are low. If I'm thirsty I guzzle a load of water then have to stop after 20 mins of running, not always practical. Banana or cereal is good, but i don't always have time to wait for it to go down. I can't run too far early, but some people don't seem to have a problem.

#8 ·
I train 3 mornings a week from 6.30am on an empty stomach, and find it ok, but like Bagpuss energy levels for me are a bit low to start but by the end i'm ok and looking forward to my breakfast. Everyone is different, do a short session and see how you feel thats the best bet.

#10 ·
Running first thing is good from the point of view that it's done and dusted for the day and then eating all day is not a problem!
Running later in the day is good in that one has to be more careful about food all day and therefore one eats less, well I do, until the run is done.

I do a mixture of both....variation is the spice of life.

#11 ·
Being retired I've no real need to run in the early morning now, but when I did I'd just have a quick cup of tea and one or two biscuits before setting out. That way I could easily manage up to fifty minutes of quality running without buckling at the knees. Having said that, I never ran on DARK winter mornings, only when it was light enough to see properly.

#21 ·
calton1954 said:
Last few weeks I've found my usual mid-week runs just not happening because of getting held up at work or social things. I'm thinking of switching to running before going to work. Question is this - I do a Sunday morning run, but because my time's my own I have breakfast (just cereal and tea) then wait a while before running. Without the luxury of all that time before going to work I think I would need to run after getting up, then have breakfast afterwards. Anybody else run on an empty stomach in the morning - how do you feel ?
Have you managed to get up and try the early morning sessions yet Calton ? - how did they go ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.