Runners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I consider that I have always been 'fairly' fit I had never really thought of running as something I would enjoy!

I have been going to a gym for about 5 years and always spent 10 minutes on the treadmil but always found it a chore and a bit boring! then a colleague at work started running and a couple would go and have a 2.5 mile run at lunchtime and tried to persuade me to join them but I was having none of it!.

Then had lots of bad things happen in my personal life and started getting a bit of an insomniac and for something to do I started running at 6 in the morning and I was soon hooked!! As a bonus I lost a few pounds and I think my legs have also toned up a bit. I changed gyms as I couldnt afford david lloyd and joined a local authority one which luckily also had a track. First time I went i could only go round once without stopping, then twice, then four times and have now got to a heady 2.5 miles without stopping! No idea what time it takes as I dont wear a watch but It's acceptable to me.

Due to not having right footware I have had some minor injuries and have not run this week in the hope that things will be ok. I am not aiming to run marathons or even 10k but just knowing that I can run 3 miles for me has been great . After reading some of the posts on here I am really encouraged to go out and run a bit more and its got to be good!

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Just over 2 years ago my thinking was the same as yours.The fact that I enjoy running so much (well 90% of the time.We all have our bad days.) has allowed me to achieve things that not only did I not believe I could,but things that I didn`t even aspire too back then.

Don`t get the idea I`m any good at it,I just enjoy trying to improve my very modest times.

Once this bug bites it dos`nt want to let go.

·
Registered
813 Posts
O the H, Well done for getting going. I used to see people out running and think 'what are they doing to themselves' it didn't look enjoyable, and I was certain it would never be me. But I got dragged out by a friend 18 months ago and have never looked back. Some days you feel you could run forever, other days are not so good! But health wise, I feel much better, I still eat and drink too much, but run off most of the chocolate and onion bargees off!
I wish I had started running 10 years ago, I will never be the fastest, but I run against myself. Enter a race/run if you want something to aim at, or just keep going as you are, each to their own, just make sure you enjoy it (most of the time).

Get some propper shoes though!

Keep on running.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I took up running just over a yar ago to enter a race for life. I'd always hated running at school so I thought once I'd run 'race for life' that would be it. I started off gently with ru/walk technique but I soon got hooked even getting injured did not deter me. This year I've manged to complete 2 half maratns, couple of ten miles, 10K, 5k, 5 miles. I don't worry about time too much as long as I finish and I don't come last - its the taking part I really enjoy. Running really lifts my spirits.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I'm the same as well, never dreamt that I'd ever run let alone enjoy it. (If I could ever sort my diet / lifestyle out I might actually run at a decent speed :d )

godo luck.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I used to run when i was about 11 years old for a couple of years, with my dad. Did the races etc. I got to a stage when i didnt like doing it any more so i gave it up, for boys and things!!!
But after taking it up again i never thought i would like it so much, and become so much fitter, its something for me.
The other thing is im still fairly young but there isnt a lot of people my age that run, round my way anyway. If i ask about they think im a fitness freak or something just because i go out for a run, its a shame its like that really and people can't incorporate any form at least of exercise into there lifestyle. I think it keeps you young personally until you get injured then you feel old !!!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Dave said:
I`m glad it`s not only me Lyn.............:d

Well Dave, after last weekend I think I had better mend my ways!

Hen night Friday, home 3:00am, bad head Saturday, got up still wearing my St Trinians outfit.

Saturday had to cook for 14, big wine drinking night at our house.

Sunday, beer and curry festival.

Monday night, fell into bad company and had too many Jack Danniels!

So did not do too much running, felt really naff, really not good. So this weekend I have offered to drive to a big birthday bash, it will be an entirely wholesome weekend.....believe me???;)

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Welcome to the forum OH. once you get the bug it's hard to shake off :d

Keep posting on here so we know how you are getting on.

TT

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well I am even looking into doing a race!!!! only 5k though to start with. Would not even have thought about it this time last year. And it shows how my mind is now working as I had some really bad news about a family member last week and usually I would have just sat about crying and feeling all upset for days but I went for a run which may seem a bit wierd as a way of dealing with things but it just took my mind right off things for 30 minutes which is what i think I needed.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Running is a great opportunity for thinking time and de-stressing nothing strange about that, really helps get stuff out of your system. Sorry to hear about your news. :(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts