Runners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suffer pretty badly from stress, and lots of people have told me that exercise really helps them with their stress, especially running so I thought I'd give it a go.

I think my ultimate goal would be to run 5-10k most days, I'm not sure if this is realistic though?

I'm 5'8" and 137lbs, my fitness isn't awful but it isn't great either, any guesses on how long it will take me to be able to run long distances comfortably?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I would definitely agree that running is good for stress!

If you are totally new to running, I would start off with a run/walk schedule eg one from Runners World website or BUPA do some too I think. It's way too easy to get carried away and get injured!

Being injured is not good for stress (speaking from experience) ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I saw a run/walk schedule somewhere online and thought that looked good. Looks like I will have to invest in a watch!

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I first took up running to deal with stress (my dad died suddenly and my mum was diagnosed with terminal cancer all in the space of 3 weeks last year). I'd always been quite stressy anyway, and enjoyed going for long walks, running seemed like the "new gear" I needed to get myself into.

I remember the first time I went running, very tentative, I ran about 200 metres and had to stop, lungs burning, heart hammering, etc. Slowly I built it up, now I can run 10k or more. It took me a fair few months to get to that level, but I was slowed down by injuries a couple of times (caused by trying to do too much too soon, go too fast, etc).

Guess it depends on your overall fitness level - you might be able to get there quite quickly, but I wouldn't underestimate the value of rest as well (both to help with the running and for the stress). I've combined the running with some hypnosis recordings (not simultaneously!) and I do feel much less stressed overall these days, despite still having some pretty major personal stuff going on.

Good luck :cool:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Steve said:
Running is a drug in itself.....the best money can buy!
Endomorphins :p

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think someone said this already but when you exercise your body releases endorphines which are a like a natural opiut. This means that you get a natural high during and after exercise.

A few good tips to make exercise relaxing if you are stressed are as follows:

1. Leave your mobile at home or switch it off - there is nothing more stressful than being away from everyone and having a relaxing run when your phone goes off with a call from work/home/friends the aftermath of which smashes your relaxation time to pieces

2. Enjoy the experience - rather than aiming to hit a certain time or distance just go out enjoy the fresh air, take in your surroundings and let your mind wander. There is nothing worse than putting pressure on yourself when you are actually trying to relax!

3. Chill out afterwards - when you finish exercise have a few minutes to chill before doing whatever it is you need to do next. The worst thing is getting in and rushing around doing stuff which unravels all the previously achieved relaxation.

This should help!

Also listen to your body, and keep it simple - eat when hungry, drink when thirsty, sleep when tired. I know it sounds blindingly obvious but when stressed it is so easy to forget to look after yourself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Couldnt agree more with this thread. I started running when i split with my ex-missus. I was devastated at living 50 miles from my kids and with the whole situation.

I felt awful[still do sometimes] but i only moped for a month or so but i was looking,and feeling ill. So i started running and weight training and found that the workouts seemed to make me more positive and whilst running it seemed to clear my thinkning.

Exercise is excellant for any type of stress IMO.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I get stressed, my kids call my physco mum, but running sure does help. I come back all nice and chilled, or knackered;)

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I don't find I'm a very stress-filled person (well not all the time anyway)... I do however find that my mind can clog up with so many thoughts that I end up being very unproductive and not knnowing what to do next - I always find a nice run helps me to work through these thoughts, prioritise what needs doing, and also helps me to answer some of the problems I'm having (usually work related).

I come back from runs feeling refreshed and motivated :d

1 - 13 of 13 Posts