Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, im looking for some advice.

Ive been thinking about starting a 'casual' running group in my area. Nothing to serious, just the opportunity for some people to get together for a running session, maybe if they feel slightly intimidated by the 'official running clubs' or are new to running and just want to run with others, etc.

Do people think this is a good idea? I do alot of running and training and have trained as a Gym Instructor and Personel Trainer, but i wouldnt be doing it as a coaching session, just a chance for people to run together and share info and maybe do some speed/hill/ temp sessions every now and then.

Anyway i would appreciate anyones views on this or if they have tried it and it has worked well or been a nightmare!!
:confused:
Thanks in advance:d

·
Registered
152 Posts
Sounds like a good idea. As a complete newbie i am worried that I would be too slow to join a running club. I have been putting it off until I don't embarass myself

Where are you Jules?

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I think it could be a good idea. It's part of the popularity of Jog Scotland - people may not want to join a running club, but want help, advice and company when running. I joined a running club a couple of years ago and personally didin't feel intimidated about it at all. (I'm still one of the slowest members!).

Jules - it may be worthwhile putting up flyers in local sports centres, etc, to guage interest in your area.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
There's obviously something about the name that puts people off running clubs... in all honesty they really are just running groups! Below the 'competitive' guys at my club, there's probably half the running club who treat it just as an opportunity to go along and run casually with some other people.

Still... if it's likely to encourage more people into running more often - then i'm all for it!! :d

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Excellent idea, I've recently started going to a local club and apart was really surprised at how many 'normal' runners there were. :d

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I did join a running club before christmas, but then was laid off from running for a few months, but if I felt I wanted to I would have no problem in going back, you get all different levels of runner at a club and they will all be glad you joined, doesn't matter if you are not very fast you still put in the same effort.

:d

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your input guys - that really helps. I just thought it would be good to get people together to share experiences, training tips etc. I will do some research in teh area and check out the interest.:d:

Marathan Fool - i'm down on the south coast in sunny old Eastbourne. Great for runs along the seafront, an dthey have half mile markers along the prom so its great for speed sessions etc.:nuts:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts