Runners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm training myself for my 1st 10k and want to do reasonably well.

apart from my regular 6 - 8 mile runs and some (probably not enough) interval work, i'm doing one hard ish 4 mile run each friday, this is usually after a one hour hard spinning class and last time i did it it was very tough but i managed a decent time (by my standards).

Question is: should i try to just do these intense sessions without the spinning class?
is the spinning class a good way of making the run harder, hence a better time on the day when i don't feel totally whacked.

Craig

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
If your serious about running i would do it before the spinning class, or just stop the spinning class. I find my "flat out" session's are an indicator of how hard/fast I can run and I use this information to base my race pace on.

i.e. If I can run 5 miles in 28 mins then if running a 10miler I feel as though running it in 1hr is feasible.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If your serious about running i would do it before the spinning class, or just stop the spinning class. I find my "flat out" session's are an indicator of how hard/fast I can run and I use this information to base my race pace on.

i.e. If I can run 5 miles in 28 mins then if running a 10miler I feel as though running it in 1hr is feasible.
well i'm serious as in i want to perform well in my 1st ever running race, i've done duathlon and i will be doing more of them.
i'm a cyclist with not enough training time so i've taken up running and i feel i'm not totally pants at it and want to improve.

my target is a 45 minute 10k 1st race (i'm 46 y/o so i don't want to be too ambitious)

my training started 6 weeks ago and i'm doing 4 miles in just over 30 mins after a spin but with a little bit in the bag for reserve.

So yep, i'm serious but definately not seriously fast:(

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I definately see value in training when tired, as it helps build endurance... but to get the full effect from tempo runs I'd suggest doing them as a stand-alone session.

The tempo run is to get your body used to sustaining a relatively hard/fast pace for a long period - building speed endurance. I think you'll be limiting it slightly by starting out tired.

It's all going to be doing you good though, so really I'm just being picky! There's no definate 'this is THE way to train'... just whatever works best for you! :)

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
update:

i did the hour spinning class, full on and b&!!s out effort, threw on a dry top and did my 4 miles, behind a decent runner who is a top man for setting the pace without kiling me.

managed 4 miles in 28:15, secretly chuffed with that and cant imagine the spin hindered it too much.

it's all coming together for me now, thanks to hints and tips on here and whoever gave me good health.

I mean that, it's times like this i feel lucky to be able to do what i do.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Seems to me Craig that you will be well on for your 45 minute time at Billericay.

If I can keep you in my sights I will know I`m doing ok.

I doubt that will happen though.

I`m 47 y/o.So I would expect to be slower....................:d

Hopefully I`ll see you there.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Seems to me Craig that you will be well on for your 45 minute time at Billericay.

If I can keep you in my sights I will know I`m doing ok.

I doubt that will happen though.

I`m 47 y/o.So I would expect to be slower....................:d

Hopefully I`ll see you there.
hello dave,

if you tell me your number i'll tell you mine lol. then i can keep you in MY sights.
that 28:15 for 4 miles was a serious hard effort for me and there was no way i could have done another 2point summat on top that pace. PLUS AND I MEAN A BIG PLUS,the bloke i was pacing, has won the billericay 10k a few years ago, so he is a top man for setting the pace.

thats where it could go pete tong for me,1st real race, so i'm nervous about my pacing, i only know 2 speeds when i go it alone, full on and wall:(

but i always give 100% so fingers crossed.

thanks for the encouragement dave.

craig

Edit:

stop making excuses about your age you old git, heh heh

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
update:

i did the hour spinning class, full on and b&!!s out effort, threw on a dry top and did my 4 miles, behind a decent runner who is a top man for setting the pace without kiling me.

managed 4 miles in 28:15, secretly chuffed with that and cant imagine the spin hindered it too much.

it's all coming together for me now, thanks to hints and tips on here and whoever gave me good health.

I mean that, it's times like this i feel lucky to be able to do what i do.
Good work, just think how much quicker you could have done without the spinning.......:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts