Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any experience with running holidays? Ive just been looking at a website called run in the sun it looks pretty good. Wouldnt mind giving it a go.:confused:

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I quite fancy going away on one the Running the Highlands weekends but not booked one yet mostly due to family commitments.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The one i looked at is in spain but it mentioned that it's best if you usually do 25 miles already. And i only do 12 at the most.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Running Holidays and Running Breaks in Spain

Hi Steve

First and foremost our runinthesun holidays are " holidays" for people who enjoy running, as can be seen from our gallery of races page.

We have all levels of ability at runinthesun. We have had ultra runners, marathon runners and middle distance track runners, all training with us on the Costa Blanca.

Many of our guests, train between 10 and 35 miles a week and do not belong to any club and have entered few races. Indeed the majority of Runners / Guests
have taken this as a holiday with running activities included, not a training camp. Many of the guests run in the morning and relax on the beach the rest of the day.

We are 800m from the beach and this has made the decision for a lot of runners and their families, who are looking to combine a holiday with running and fitness activities, which may include Yoga, pilates, and spinning at the local fitness centre.

Any schedule during the holiday is based upon the guests present training programme, although many did not have a training schedule but a love for running and the pleasure it brings.

Most guests are running 10k in between 44 and 57min. No one has run quicker than 40min and none slower than 60min.

I write running schedules for guests to take away and will help with these for 3 months after their break.

The relaxed atmosphere, and running leaves guests "charged, motivated" for their return home. Indeed many have entered races and e mailed me their results.

I hope this gives you an indication of the variety of runner, we have had here at runinthesun.

All the best
Paul Fletcher UK.A coach B.Ed.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Paul that info was very useful, i really do fancy one of the trips, i'm doing my first 10k on 23rd of this month so after thats done i will look into it in more depth.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Thanks for the info Paul.

The two events I'm planning are the Swiss Alpine Trail in Davos and the Medoc Marathon but I'll bear you in mind for a week's training in the sun sometime.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i'm not sure we are allowed to plug our business here (moderator ??), but my husband and I have just started a running guides business in Snowdonia - we started off just responding to individual enquiries for people needing Mountain Leader qualified guides to take them in the hills, but have now been encouraged to set up pre-organised running holidays (including training in navigation) for groups to book - we are spending the next few weeks planning some events for November onwards to test the waters. We were inspired by seeing the improved motivation in road runners or hill walkers we had encouraged into mountain and trail running - just by giving them some training on how to run in the mountains safely - in particular navigation skills - its great when you see the appreciation of the beauty of these mountains in people you take out.

We recently supported two guys attempting the 3000m peaks in Snowdonia in 24hrs. Neither of them were runners or had any mountain experience but they were gym fit. One of the guys was so wrapped in the day, despite the rain, clag and an injury not letting them complete, that he has started hill running. Really cool to see.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi again Sarah i'm really looking forward to receiving your email when you've put together some trips it sounds like a great idea. I usually run around the reservoirs at saddleworth and the views are great but i'm sure snowdonia will beat that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Stotty

I came from Oldham, a long time ago. I used to run from Chadderton into Oldham, up to Oldham rugby ground ( Hudderfield road? ) over towards Delph and back down grains or Buckstones road. Grains is obvious spelt wrongly, but you know where I run.

Another run Started at Oldham college ( lunch hour ) into Royton down Rochdale road, through towards Rochdale up Past Tandle Hills, left at the top of hill and down to the canal, back up Middleton Road to college.

I worked for Partington builders in Chadderton on a site in Springhead, a block of flats, either renovated of flattened now.

Your not the guy in Spinghead who places adverts on water bottles and kit, I had an e mail from the company some time ago and I have kept it.

All the best

Paul

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Stotty

we are getting our next events up by the end of next week - I'll email you then to let you know whats on offer but we can organsie specific holidays/breaks to suit you as well.

sounds like you appreciate the outdoors!! You'll love it here - its even nice in the rain - we have some good low-level alternative routes just incase the weather craps out but our policy is get out whatever the weather !!!

If you come on a break with us, bring some maps of your local area and we can advise you on some good routes to run when you return home

speak soon

best wishes

Sarah

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Sarah,
In the not too distant past a few of aour club members took part in the Snowdonia Marathon. As the club's chariman I'm always on the look out for potential club outings and think your set up could be ideal. We've got an event planned for next year but maybe we could get something arranged in 2009.. ..sounds a way off yet I know but these things take time to plan as I'm sure you know!
Steve

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Its great to hear from someone that knows the area, but sadly i'm not that guy wrong gender i'm afraid.Did you ever run along the Delph Donkey trail, i've heard a lot about it and fancied running somewhere different.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can't wait for the email.

runsnowdonia said:
Hi Stotty

we are getting our next events up by the end of next week - I'll email you then to let you know whats on offer but we can organsie specific holidays/breaks to suit you as well.

sounds like you appreciate the outdoors!! You'll love it here - its even nice in the rain - we have some good low-level alternative routes just incase the weather craps out but our policy is get out whatever the weather !!!

If you come on a break with us, bring some maps of your local area and we can advise you on some good routes to run when you return home

speak soon

best wishes

Sarah

Yeh i definately love the outdoors thats a good idea about the maps because i am getting fed up of the same runs now, so looking into other tracks etc. Its difficult coz i run on my own quite a lot and obviously wouldn't try anything too new just incase i got lost.

·
Registered
30 Posts
hmm, snowdon.....................

i was in the lakes a few weeks back, a little bored during the days (i was there with the mrs who was on a conference!) and i had my running gear with me, so i got a map and did some fell running, it was awesome, i really enjoyed it aswell, i need to do more, one of my mates wants to do the 3 peaks, so maybe you could help us at your end?????

i also run round dovestones!!!!! ;)

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
coolerking said:
hmm, Snowdon..I was in the lakes a few weeks back, a little bored during the days (i was there with the mrs who was on a conference!) and I had my running gear with me, so I got a map and did some fell running, it was awesome, I really enjoyed it as well, I need to do more, one of my mates wants to do the 3 peaks, so maybe you could help us at your end?????
It doesn't suit everyone but fell running for me is the ultimate in running experience. Road running bores me. Almost all my training is off-road and on the fells. It builds tremendous strength and stamina and after you've thrown in the third ingredient, speedwork, you're really flying when it comes down to racing on the flat stuff.
Having walked the Three Peaks circuit about 30 times the annual race in April became my prime target when I first started running so couldn't wait to get the qualifying races under my belt. In April, 1991 I finally made it and clocked 3.58.24 to finish 2nd MV55. In subsequent attempts I won the the MV60 category on three occasions, my fastest time being 3.50.44 in 1995. I regard it as my favourite race though sadly I can no longer manage that distance (well, not in the sort of time I'd want). The medals I won there are far more meaningful than the category medals I won in other races, including National Championships or the London Marathon.
I believe next year the Three Peaks race incorporates the World Hill-running Championships - so there's something for your mate to aim for!
Cheers!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is the 3 peaks only in April because when i was running at dovestones this morning i spotted a sign with 3 peaks this way. Bit much for me i'm afraid nearly kiiled myself this morning doing my longest run yet.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts