Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've only started running relatively recently and ran a half marathon back in September. I really love feeling fit and enjoy the running. I do however find it hard to motivate myself to go and train once I've arrived home from work.

Something I've been considering is running home from work 3-4 times a week. The run will be 8.5 miles and will get me fit at the same time as getting me home. Ideally I would like to do this all year as soon as it is light enough after work.

I spoke to a friend about this and he's told me this is a bad idea because this much running will do more harm than good.

What are your opinions on this? I would love to do this because it will get me extremely fit. I will then be in a good position to build on the distance and train for more half and full marathons.

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Hello and welcome Skampy :)

Would those runs be on top of morning runs? Are you considering training 10/11 times a week then?

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Skampy said:
I do however find it hard to motivate myself to go and train once I've arrived home from work.

Something I've been considering is running home from work 3-4 times a week... Ideally I would like to do this all year as soon as it is light enough after work.

I spoke to a friend about this and he's told me this is a bad idea because this much running will do more harm than good.

What are your opinions on this? I would love to do this because it will get me extremely fit. I will then be in a good position to build on the distance and train for more half and full marathons.
I think a lot depends on the amount of running that you're already doing, as a sudden increase to 8.5 miles 3 or 4 times a week would probably, as your friend suggests, do more harm than good. If, however, these runs from work are going to replace existing sessions, and not actually represent a drastic mileage increase, then there should be no problem. And if you're planning on full marathons in the future, you'll need to be doing this kind of work (and more) on a regular basis anyway.

For many years, running both to and from work formed the bulk of my training; although I did live closer than you do (5 miles). Doing this week-in/week-out over a long period got me, and kept me, very fit. I was also fortunate in having shower facilities at work, which was a great advantage. Like you I find it almost impossible to come home and then go out for a run; so I still tend to run home every day. But these days I have the "luxury" of only being 1.5 miles from home, which gives me too much of an opportunity to be lazy! (although to be honest, I rarely take the direct route home... sometimes adding as much as 7 or 8 miles to the distance).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,

I would only intend on running home and would do so probably 3 times a week, maybe 4. This would replace all training so would be the only running I would do.

If I did this all year long (after building up to it properly) would this do me any harm? Quite a large portion is on roads.

From the last post is suggests this would be fine?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Running Home

i have tried this - about 12k, 1 hour 15 mins, for me.

1. it got very repetitive, the same run, and especially tiresome when it gets wet for day after day; it stops being fun.
2. a couple of times running home in the dark i got harassed by drunks or groups of teenagers; the drunks are a lot easier to outrun, but alone on foot you can be vulnerable.
3. car-dodging on the roads can be frustrating and even risky; having to keep stopping to wait to cross is frustrating, and you need to very careful about assuming the blighters have seen you or will actually stop at the crossings.
4. carrying stuff home or to work is tricky/impossible
5. it will eat up a lot of your free time

Cycling works well for me though - keeps me fit, takes less time, can take stuff home, it is possible to stay dry on a bike, and i can still run now and again and still enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Hi Skampy

If nothing else, it's worth a go. I suggest you do it once, see how you feel and figure out whether you would enjoy it on a long-term basis. It would probably be good to have one or two rest days after each one, especially to start with, as it's fairly far and you would likely be carrying a rucksack (find one that fits well and is big enough for work clothes :cool: ) Also, know your route well and maybe carry a map, since the same road can look different for a runner than for a car-driver.

I don't see it doing you any harm if you are sensible, if you want to really improve your running you could even add a speedwork or hill session over the weekend

Best of luck :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great, thanks for that.

Enjoyment won't be an issue as I'm very motivated to improve my fitness. The time won't be an issue either because I'll actually have more time once I mix getting home with running.

The general opinion then seems to be that as long as I include the odd rest day, and build up to it, I will be able to carry on indefinitely without doing any harm.

Now all I need is for it to get light in the evenings again!! Thanks again.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I don't like running with a rucksack, but if not running home every day just leave clothes in work and take home on non-running days. I like the fact that when you get home you've already done your training run. (only 10k to home for me, do it a couple of times a wwek).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Once a week I take the car to work and then run home. Then the next day I run to work and take the car home, and this works really well for me when I do it twice a week.

To avoid the harrassment by BrummyDoug you could run to work in mornings, and then take public transportation home.

Just some ideas, hope you can use it:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts