Runners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Well Im in the EU, and it gets a fair bit hotter over summer than sunny UK!!

When I used to run it was in the UK with fairly mild weather. So know experience of running in heat. Anyone got any tips and hints so dont dehydrate etc.
July and August can get pretty hot here.

Other thing is the GNR is end of September, but September in Prague is normally still hot. So thinking I may get off the plane and think hell its cold! Any tips for racing on the day and finding its colder than the running I have done in Prague?

Prahalady

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
If our summer is anything to go by from last year, it was HOT and I hated it only from a running point of view, it was unbearable, apart from making sure you drink plenty during the day before you run and have a water bottle with you when running, I don't know what else to suggest....

As for the GNR September here can still be nice, I am running it too so I can keep an eye on the weather for you, or Dan our Admin man will have an even better idea on weather being a North East man himself.... :d

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Drink a pint of water an hour before you go out. If running for an hour or longer take a bottle of water with you and avoid the hottest parts of the day i.e. mid-day. Running early in the morning during the summer is particularly nice.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
When we run round our 5km training loop, some of the people in my club leave bottles of water at various points on the course. As we often run the loop multiple times, they can pick up the bottle the next time they pass.

This way, they don't have to carry multiple bottles and will always be able to keep hydrated.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Grant said:
When we run round our 5km training loop, some of the people in my club leave bottles of water at various points on the course. As we often run the loop multiple times, they can pick up the bottle the next time they pass.

This way, they don't have to carry multiple bottles and will always be able to keep hydrated.
I've done similar on long runs...by driving the course the night before and leaving drinks hidden behind bushes etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sydney has quite warm summers too...! i tend to run after work and make sure i keep hydrated during the day then have a couple of large glasses of water an hour or so before running. I find running with a bottle annoying!

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Very hot in Lisbon in the Summer...
I did my marathon training by either carrying a couple of small bottles with me or doing it on a 5K loop having left the water there before.

As for racing in a different climate, it takes me 3 or 4 days to adapt so I would travel to the race location a few days before the event to become aclimatized.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Prahalady said:
Hello,

Well Im in the EU, and it gets a fair bit hotter over summer than sunny UK!!

When I used to run it was in the UK with fairly mild weather. So know experience of running in heat. Anyone got any tips and hints so dont dehydrate etc.
July and August can get pretty hot here.

Other thing is the GNR is end of September, but September in Prague is normally still hot. So thinking I may get off the plane and think hell its cold! Any tips for racing on the day and finding its colder than the running I have done in Prague?

Prahalady
Wait till you get to West Australia:d :d :d

1 - 13 of 13 Posts