Runners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to do my run in the cold tonight - minus three - and only managed 3 miles, as opposed to the planned 5.

Although I warmed up properly, about two miles in I was completely shattered and out of breath and struggled to get to the 3 mile mark.

I've felt like this on Sunday as well. Is it just me or does anyone else experience this in the cold?

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Fortunately it hasn't got as cold as that (well not at times I usually run) down here in tropical Plymouth but I also get really hot and resemble something of a beetroot even in the winter. I don't tend to wear shorts either and usually wear a base layer on colder days. What are you wearing when you run at cold temps?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have just been out with the club and everyone apart from me just had their leggings on with long sleeve t-shirt under a short sleeve t-shirt under the Hi-Vis. Althought I'm not sure what the temperature was.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Grant, what are you wearing? When I started last January I always ran in shorts, and short or long sleeved t-shirt, and suffered during a cold snap. I now use leggings, a couple of layers, gloves and hat when it's really cold and have no problems.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
It was the thought of either doing a 5 mile regular run on the treadmill or a road run, the road run won and I am glad it did although very cold in the right clothing it doesn't matter and I had really good run. :d

·
Registered
104 Posts
On runners world forum there are runners who go out in -20 oC.

If you won't train on a treadmill then make sure you have the correct footwear and clothing for this cold snap. If you can't hack it, move to Portugal!

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
coachsherwood said:
On runners world forum there are runners who go out in -20 oC.

If you won't train on a treadmill then make sure you have the correct footwear and clothing for this cold snap. If you can't hack it, move to Portugal!
Thought you was going out to do some coaching.................

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
coachsherwood said:
Yes coaching is 4 -5.30pm at King Edwards School, Ranmoor Sheffield.

Do you want to come and help?
I think you might need some help..............:d

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I've been running in the Lake District this last weekend where temperatures were well into the minuses. Wore my Gore Element leggings, Helly Hanson thermal, running vest, gloves and headband for most of the time. I started off wearing a Montane windproof jacket but took it off after 20 minutes or so when I was warmed up. This combination worked OK for my old bones.
Cheers!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts