Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Due to school hols, things get a bit strained timewise around this time of year, as I now work earlier and then a 2 minute tag handover at the front door early afternoon sees Sarah then working till 10.

This obviously cuts down the time available for any running, and definately not being a morning person (getting up before 6 just to walk the dogs is bad enough) means that I am now looking at some late night running.

Having missed my recovery run on Monday I am determined to try and stick to my schedule which now calls for a 5 mile tempo run today, therefore I'm going out for my first run in the dark later. (will be good training at least for the forthcoming winter months too :d )

Are there any particular things that differ and I should be wary of ? Should I take a torch ? My planned route is mostly on pavement which I think about two thirds will be street lamp lit although there are a couple of shortish sections that probably won't.

Any advice gratefuly received.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I would just take extra care in the areas that aren't so well lit, only you will know if a torch is necessary, do you have a bike light as they are reasonably light to carry, also wear something that will make you obvious to car drivers something with High Viz ie arm band etc.

let us know how you get on? :d

·
Registered
264 Posts
I do a lot running down dark lanes without lighting (and pavements) and always take a torch. When cars come past, their headlights will dazzle you and you wont be able to see the edge of the pavement/road so I tend to shine the torch down to the floor so I can see where I'm running.

If its very dark I also run with the torch on and sort of hold it pointing down to the ground. I'm also going to be getting a red light thingie this winter (like the flashing red lights you get on cycles) and attach it to me so cars can see me.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I tend to manage okay without any torch or light source, but then most of my routes are well lit, and even in the darkest parts I can see streetlights in the distance :)

·
Registered
674 Posts
I just got myself a high vis Sam Brown for running in. Much less restrictive than a high vis jacket, and because you can alter them to fit you well, you hardly notice you're wearing it.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
If the news is anything to go by, how about a stab proof vest?
I think that's a bit over cynical. As I understand it knife crime (that is, the chance of you being mugged/battered/stabbed) has fallen recently, and the chance of being stabbed to death is about 0.001%

It might seem worse though because the media have decided to pounce on it in a big way. They didn't last year, for example, because they were too busy reporting on the McCanns.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think that's a bit over cynical. As I understand it knife crime (that is, the chance of you being mugged/battered/stabbed) has fallen recently, and the chance of being stabbed to death is about 0.001%
That's what I meant really, sensationalising in the press. Same thing with the "credit crunch". Whatever.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts