Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With winter approaching, I'm wondering what folk do when it gets dark!! - run on lighted paths (yuk - asphalt :( ), carry a head torch? eat a lot of carrots?

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I do most of my running on roads, as opposed trails, so my usual routes all have street lights. I make sure I wear a high vis vest over my t-shirt/running jacket to make myself even more visible.

·
Registered
264 Posts
When I do have to run on roads I like to stay away from traffic and people so all my winter running ends up on dark lanes with no lighting. I tend to go early so you don't get many cars blinding you with their headlights and I carry a torch to periodically shine down to see where I'm running. Not ideal I know and probably very dangerous

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
I'm a bit worried about this one- I find that early evening's my best time to go running, but the trail around the woods/playing fields where I run at the mo is unlit and a bit spooky, so not a good idea if it's already dark by the time I finish work. So I've decided to join a club, but according to the club website, the slow group does 5-7 miles at between 8.5 and 9.5 mins/mile. As I can run neither that far nor that fast as yet, I'm going to have to train my butt off before I can even join in with the slowies! Ah well, there's nowt like a challenge to motivate you.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
All my runs are on at least dimly lit roads, usually fairly well lit. If I ran well away from street lighting though, I'd probably use a head torch.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'm a bit worried about this one- I find that early evening's my best time to go running, but the trail around the woods/playing fields where I run at the mo is unlit and a bit spooky, so not a good idea if it's already dark by the time I finish work. So I've decided to join a club, but according to the club website, the slow group does 5-7 miles at between 8.5 and 9.5 mins/mile. As I can run neither that far nor that fast as yet, I'm going to have to train my butt off before I can even join in with the slowies! Ah well, there's nowt like a challenge to motivate you.
Hiya, I joined a running club a couple of weeks ago and can highly recommend it. Their slow run is also 5 - 7 miles but they tend to run for a mile or so and then stop and chat for a few minutes. The slow run has to cater for people of all abilities so I'd find out first whether you are expected to be able to run 5 - 7 miles in one go. That seems like and awful long way for new runners.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
That's what I thought- I had to go back and check their website as I was sure I must have read it wrong! It does, to be fair, say that they go at the pace of the slowest person, but I'd feel dreadful if I held them back to current Ali pace! Thanks for the suggestion, though- I'll give them a ring and ask.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
All my runs are on at least dimly lit roads, usually fairly well lit. If I ran well away from street lighting though, I'd probably use a head torch.
You'd probably scare the living daylights out of people - they would think you were the ghost of a miner come out of the pits, or something - or people would report the bobbing light as a UFO :lol:

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
Ali, I'm sure if you weren't right up to speed with them they wouldn't mind too much as they all had to start somewhere too. Might be worth finding out if the route is one big loop or several laps, if it is laps then you could stop once you've got back to the start having done a lap or two less than the others untill your running improves.

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
The Internet is good, but sometimes you can't beat picking up the phone and talking to someone.
You surely don't mean proper interpersonal communication do you H? I mean speaking to a real human being type person is scary in this modern world of t'internet email and answering machines!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts