Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may sound silly to you lot of seasoned runners...but had never run in the rain until tonight! :embarrassed: Always been a soft jessy and gone to gym n run on treadmill.

But tonight went out for run in rain - did several laps round local park - saw loads of other runners who all smiled/nodded/said hello. Usual bunch of underage drinkers nowhere to be seen. AND ran faster than usual but it felt easier than usual.

Running in the rain ROCKS!:d

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi

I have to say that running in the rain sounds like a great idea and I am defineitly going to try it!! Like you said there are less people about because they are all staying indoors and plus I always find there is something fairly peaceful about being out in the rain- good for thinking!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yep running in the rain is great, I went out the other Sunday and it was tipping down but it was my best run in ages and I knocked 2 minutes, yes TWO MINUTES, off my 5k pb. I only saw two other people and they were runners, no dogs or bikes (not that they are a problem where I run, very curtious actually).
So if you haven't tried it yet get out in that rain you'll be surprised at how good it feels. O but remember to have a nice hot shower when you get home!!

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
You cant beat it i dont think i love the feeling of it on my face, it also keeps you cooler i think.
I do get some funny looks off people iv noticed but i seem to go into my own little world when i run in the ran. hayley

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm still a relative beginner and haven't run much in the rain. When I have done I find that the cheap little jacket I have gets soaked and sticks to me, v cold and uncomfy :( What advice do you have for more appropriate clothing for running in the rain? Is it worth splashing out (aha) on an expensive waterproof jacket?! Being from Scotland I anticipate plenty of rainy runs ahead....

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
the-dude-abides said:
I'm still a relative beginner and haven't run much in the rain. When I have done I find that the cheap little jacket I have gets soaked and sticks to me, v cold and uncomfy :( What advice do you have for more appropriate clothing for running in the rain? Is it worth splashing out (aha) on an expensive waterproof jacket?! Being from Scotland I anticipate plenty of rainy runs ahead....
Having done a lot of running in Scotland, mainly Munro-bagging, I've yet to find the jacket that keeps me entirely dry. There just isn't one around that can cope with the amount of moisture I churn out when I'm running, so I get very wet inside! Most jackets wont let water in and they're windproof, so therefore keep you warm, but you stew in your own sweat. Currently I'm using a Montane Litespeed which has a hood and goes into its own stuffsack the size of an apple. My overtrousers pack similarly small, so don't take up much room in my bumbag when racing or out for a long run.
A lot of fell-runners swear by the Montane Featherlite H20 which has a ventilation panel across the back to allow sweat to disperse. A good choice, but it doesn't have a hood.
And for what it's worth my partner jogs around happily in the rain wearing her Paramo Fuera smock and generally returns home dry. Arrrggg!!!
Cheers!

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Think i agree, you know me well.
Just done 5.5miles in 41.24 and had a few hills in it so im not doing to bad i hope...

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've posted some of my best times in the rain, I could be something to do with there being more oxygen in the air when it rains, so if your running in the rain in the country, woodland there's even more oxygen about you have an even better run.

You can't beat it

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Goslow I think it's fair to assume it is popular amongst most of us, me included :d

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
twinkle toes said:
Goslow I think it's fair to assume it is popular amongst most of us, me included :d
That'll be why the only other people I saw were runners then :cool:

Have to admit, before I started running, when I saw people out running in the rain I thought "you mad b*ggers, get indoors":d But now I am a convert.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I done my first 6 mile run in the rain on sunday it was great, it was probably better doing it when it was cooler rather than the hot weather we've been having recently.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Its been on and off all weekend, it started throwing it down just as i finished my run. It kept me cool coz i go really red when i run and look ridiculous.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts