Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've an inch of snow here so it seems reasonable to ask about running in it! Most of my routes are trail runs and the obvious things to me are slipperiness and inability to see the track.

Any others?

Dave

·
Registered
151 Posts
The build up of snow on the treads of your trainers is a real pain in the ass. not sure if trail shoes would help.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Ballibeg said:
We've an inch of snow here so it seems reasonable to ask about running in it! Most of my routes are trail runs and the obvious things to me are slipperiness and inability to see the track. Any others? Dave
I wear my usual studded fell-running shoes in the snow - New Balance RX Terrains. Even wore them for a 10K road race once when there was a covering of snow, much to people's surprise. The studs shed snow or debris quite well, as do Walsh's. Done a bit of running in the forest round your way in winter, and along the canal, but never had difficulty keeping to the tracks.
Cheers!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
True enough I'll be able to stay en route easily enough by my favourite runs tend be off the beaten track and there's lots of debris. I'm sure it'll be fine. I am enjoying running in my activ8 Terrocs 315's, hopefully they'll do the job.

On anther note I heard on teh grapevine there's a 11 miler on the island of Gigha in March and the Campbeltown half marathon in May. So things to train for!

Dave

·
Registered
664 Posts
Runningfox said:
I wear my usual studded fell-running shoes in the snow - New Balance RX Terrains. Even wore them for a 10K road race once when there was a covering of snow, much to people's surprise. The studs shed snow or debris quite well, as do Walsh's. Done a bit of running in the forest round your way in winter, and along the canal, but never had difficulty keeping to the tracks.
Cheers!
Runningfox,

Do you find these type of shoes good in icy weather too ?

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
calton1954 said:
Runningfox, Do you find these type of shoes good in icy weather too ?
Cheers,
Depends how icy. Apart from X-Country spikes I don't think any shoes are really safe on solid ice. But on frozen snow I've found Walsh's about the best. They have a more pointed pyramidal stud that grips as good as anything will. Some years ago I ran the Eassains and Great Lochaber Traverse, when they were plastered with hard compacted snow, and didn't have any problems wearing Walsh's.
Cheers!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts