Runners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found this link and decided to send it around a few of the people in work. There seems to a be a myth (amongst non-runners, or people who don't do any exercise) that running is bad for you and messes your knees up. I've had several conversations with people about this. I'm sure they just say that to make them feel better with their sedentary life styles:

BBC NEWS | Health | Running 'can slow ageing process'

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Thats all good news then :) If you start running early enough you might even start going back in time since it slows down aging in 50 year olds.

O.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I'm glad this is getting more coverage. It's obvious that regular exercise is going to delay many age related problems. Not just running. My ex boss turned 70 this year, and her husband is 76. They have the energy levels of people half their age. They do serious hill walking.

I know some runners can have problems with their knees, but the vast majority don't. And running builds skeletal strength, so it is always going to help reduce the risk of osteoporosis. And to be honest, I'd rather have a dodgy knee in old age than any of the serious diseases running helps prevent. Non runners have some seriously misinformed views about running. It's annoying. I think many are just jealous because they look older than they are and are seriously unfit. It astounds me, and depresses me, that I am probably fitter, stronger and healthier than the average person in their late teens and early 20s. I shouldn't be.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Merged the replies to the duplicates into this thread *slaps own wrist for not looking before posting*

·
Registered
376 Posts
I've just come back from a holiday on the South of France coast, and I was struck by the fact that so many people seem to be runners, of all ages. And so many bicycles as well. When the beach was crowded there would be hundreds of bicycles next to the car park. Ok, so its hopelessly unscientific, but even discounting the bikini clad babes it was evident to me that there just wasn't the obesity problem we have here in the UK. It was certainly an obvious conclusion to say that the two facts are linked.
(Still, I can't say I enjoyed running while I was there, just not used to the higher temperature. I like the rain!)

·
Registered
376 Posts
As a more sober follow up to the above; when I got back to work, I found out that my friend and colleague who's idea of recreation is X-Box and fags had suffered a serious heart attack. That kind of news makes you want to get your running shoes on, I can tell you.
Oh, and my friend's age? 37, folks.....

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
As a more sober follow up to the above, when I got back to work, I found out that my friend and colleague who's idea of recreation is X-Box and fags had suffered a serious heart attack. That kind of news makes you want to get your running shoes on, I can tell you.
Jesus :( That's messed up. Sorry to hear about your friend. Hope he/she is ok. 37 is very young to have a heart attack.

·
Registered
378 Posts
As a more sober follow up to the above, when I got back to work, I found out that my friend and colleague who's idea of recreation is X-Box and fags had suffered a serious heart attack. That kind of news makes you want to get your running shoes on, I can tell you.
It is that exact kind of thing that can make people want to do more exercise.
Thing is though it shouldn't take things like that. Sad but true.

My own 'wake up call' was when my father had a heart attack and was told he'd need a heart transplant when I was about 13 I think. Runs in the family but it won't happen to me unless my genes say that it will.

I hope your colleague is ok.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Runs in the family but it won't happen to me unless my genes say that it will.
My father had a triple heart bypass in his late 50s and at the age of 44 (in August 2000), even though I was doing all the right things, I sufferd a heart attack. It was hereditary. After recovering and being on a sh1t load of medication I still had to have a stent inserted in a 95% narrowed artery 6 years later!!!!!!!!!:(

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thats all good news then :) If you start running early enough you might even start going back in time since it slows down aging in 50 year olds.

O.
If I needed inspiration to persist in finding my running legs it certainly helps to know that running in your 50s slows down the ageing process. So maybe it is all worth it after all.....

·
Registered
378 Posts
My father had a triple heart bypass in his late 50s and at the age of 44 (in August 2000), even though I was doing all the right things, I sufferd a heart attack. It was hereditary. After recovering and being on a sh1t load of medication I still had to have a stent inserted in a 95% narrowed artery 6 years later!!!!!!!!!:(
I'm sorry to hear that.

I guess it's just in some genes. My father was fairly overweight though. So I can only hope that that magnified it and the things I'm doing now can prevent it from happening to me. I guess only time will tell.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that.

I guess it's just in some genes. My father was fairly overweight though. So I can only hope that that magnified it and the things I'm doing now can prevent it from happening to me. I guess only time will tell.

That is the best way to look at it. You aren't completely ruled by your genes. This is a mistake many people with hereditory heart disease make. They become fatalists and don't realise that healthy living and exercise will prolong their lives regardless of their genetic predispositions. MY best friend has a family history of heart disease (father, grandfather etc all died before the age of 60) and he is a fatalist. He smokes, drinks a lot, eats crap and doesn't exercise. I can't convince him that if he actually looked after his body he would most likely live far beyond his father and grandfather's age. Both his father and grandfather also adopted an unhealthy fatalist lifestyle. So good on you for taking control of your own life. It can only be for the better. No downside to living healthy.

·
Registered
376 Posts
If I needed inspiration to persist in finding my running legs it certainly helps to know that running in your 50s slows down the ageing process. So maybe it is all worth it after all.....
Heh, I'm sure that your running legs are already transforming into those of a Russian gymnast with every mile..so stick with it!

That is the best way to look at it. You aren't completely ruled by your genes. This is a mistake many people with hereditory heart disease make. They become fatalists and don't realise that healthy living and exercise will prolong their lives regardless of their genetic predispositions. ...No downside to living healthy.
Very well put.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Jane Tomlinson was living proof of that, she was given 6 months to live and then went on for another 6-7 years, amazing woman.

·
Registered
378 Posts
That is the best way to look at it. You aren't completely ruled by your genes. This is a mistake many people with hereditory heart disease make. They become fatalists and don't realise that healthy living and exercise will prolong their lives regardless of their genetic predispositions. MY best friend has a family history of heart disease (father, grandfather etc all died before the age of 60) and he is a fatalist. He smokes, drinks a lot, eats crap and doesn't exercise. I can't convince him that if he actually looked after his body he would most likely live far beyond his father and grandfather's age. Both his father and grandfather also adopted an unhealthy fatalist lifestyle. So good on you for taking control of your own life. It can only be for the better. No downside to living healthy.
I see what you mean. By just thinking 'well my family has it and so am I so there's no point' you just give yourself more chance of it happening to you.
I will continue to do my best at being healthy and just trust that it will work.
Thank for the words of encouragement.:d

1 - 18 of 18 Posts