Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

Would be interested to find out if most people do indeed have a running mantra...some little nugget of inspiration that helps you along on a long or lonely run?

Have found some amusing ones on the net such as these.
"The only person who can beat you is you...and I'm pretty sure you can take her."
"If you start walking now, it's just going to take that much longer to get home."
"go hard or go home."
"Trust Your Training."
pain vs injury ... is it injury or is it pain? if its' just pain - keep going!!
"I do it because I love it; I do it because I can."

etc etc etc........

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Leg it... it's the filth... I hope to f**k they aint got the heli with the f**king thermal camera tonight !.....

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
aye but it's pretty obvious when you enter/leave the wooded area.... perhaps you should stash some catering grade foil in the wooded area... man goes in... invisible man comes out... though I guess once you've turned the thermal imaging off you'd stand out like a sore thumb! :lol:

As for running mantra's... I don't really have one, well sort of, but I don't really think it can be called a mantra, I'll say "come on" to myself as a sort of re-assurance to myself that I can push harder, but that's about it?

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Mine is very odd... you are going to think i am nuts! (You will already know that if you have read my other posts).
I imagine little people inside my legs - almost working the cogs.. and the faster I go, and the further I go at this pace, the more fun they have (sort of like little gremlins having a party in my legs!!)

I get easily psyched out by other people going past me - but at least this way I focus on myself! Last night I did this and I ran a really good positive run :) I even caught up with the group ahead of me :) I just became very aware of how I felt - and I realised it wasn't that painful - and it wasn't getting any worse(!)

Pilates is also helping - but I might start another thread on that!

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
As for running mantra's... I don't really have one, well sort of, but I don't really think it can be called a mantra, I'll say "come on" to myself as a sort of re-assurance to myself that I can push harder, but that's about it?
I think you are the Alan Shearer of the running world :p I imagine him having something like that as a mantra. Do you also put one hand up in the air when you get a PB?

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Mine is quite odd too- when I first started, my husband suggested I count each step I run, and I now find it helps me to find a rhythm and keep my mind off the pain! Also, I can say to myself, just do another hundred steps and then I can stop and walk... OK, just another hundred...

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I think you are the Alan Shearer of the running world :p I imagine him having something like that as a mantra. Do you also put one hand up in the air when you get a PB?
Like it!!

Not really a Mick Channon man methinks!!:lol:

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
LMAO! :lol: I do!!! Well, I raise a clenched fist or two to the air as i'm finishing if I'm pleased with my race :d

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Mine is quite odd too- when I first started, my husband suggested I count each step I run, and I now find it helps me to find a rhythm and keep my mind off the pain! Also, I can say to myself, just do another hundred steps and then I can stop and walk... OK, just another hundred...
Sounds like Paula radcliffe! I think she said she counts up 100 and then she knows she's covered another 1/3 of a mile. There was a more recent one regarding here baby Isla, but I can't say that one was as interesting :p

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
Mine is very odd... you are going to think i am nuts! (You will already know that if you have read my other posts).
I imagine little people inside my legs - almost working the cogs.. and the faster I go, and the further I go at this pace, the more fun they have (sort of like little gremlins having a party in my legs!!)

I get easily psyched out by other people going past me - but at least this way I focus on myself! Last night I did this and I ran a really good positive run :) I even caught up with the group ahead of me :) I just became very aware of how I felt - and I realised it wasn't that painful - and it wasn't getting any worse(!)

You are right that is very very odd!

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
i just tend to think urgh christ why am i doing this..

and then i see someone ahead and the competative/ motorbike rider switch turns on and makes me think.. hmm must get past/ around that obstacle

·
Registered
664 Posts

Do the little people inside your legs also enjoy pilates ?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts