Runners Forum banner

Running & Migraines

3K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  Nellie 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if there is any link between migraines and running? I have suffered for the last year or so with these b*****d headaches which seem to have got worse since I have started running and training harder - Is there a link?

My diet is good, low GI plenty of wholegrains, fish, fruit and veg with low levels of booze. I already avoid dairy completely with the exception of my pill and the odd piece of cheese taken with a lactase enzyme supplement. I drink plenty of water between 2 and 4 litres a day, most of that being plain water with herbal teas and a cup of black coffee.

I know people are going to say it's the coffee.....but i really don't think this is the case (trial and error).

Any idea's or suggestions welcome as I have not been able to run all week due to a frigging 4 day attack!

#2 ·
Emma

I totally sympathise with you i suffered from Migraines for years and eventually discovered they were hormone related...the pill does not help!!!! I discovered a medication called Imagrin...they are very strong and you can only get them on perscription buty they do work...you only get six at a time and I can usually only take 1/2 of one but that usually does the trick. My daughter is coming 20 and unfortunately she is developing the same problem each month so I took her to our Doctor and she now gets Imigrin too.

#3 ·
Hi Nellie - I think that is what I have just been perscribed in the form of Sumatripan, the 6 to a pack gave it away!

Have to agree about the pill but I was changed on to the mini pill about 7/8 months ago as apparently they are less likely to cause a problem and to be fair initially I did see a massive reduction in frequency, but this last month or two I have had at least 1 a week lasting up to 3 days and this one although now mild is in it's 4th day. Yep you can guess I am not popular at work right now!

I can't help but wonder though if the link is the running - up until the last 4 months I have swum daily, switched to running some days and now or at least up till this week have really ramped up the running - am I robbing my body of something through running?

The only other change has been my diet, in line wiht the ramped up running and that is an increase in wheat and banana's?????

#5 ·
Hi EmmaC,

Hope you don't mind me commenting on this but my wife had a very similiar problem to yours a while ago. Now, she is not one for the keep fit brigade, but she went from the pill to the mini pill and there was a big improvement but they just happed more infrequently.

After going back to the doctors on numerous occasions she went to see (not sure what there are called) but it was to reduce stress (something which she flatley denied she had) and this seemed to make a huge difference and touch wood she seems to have got rid of the migraines.
Just an alternative view for you.

#6 ·
I really don't think running would give you such severe migraines but i'm not a medical person. In my case (which seems similiar to you) I would have a migraine for days but on top of the headache I would have been sick. Maybe i've just grown out of them!!!(43 TODAY!!! Yea....) but I see the same pattern with my daughter and the Imigran do help. I'm not sure how strong they are but I know I cannot take a full one!!! they can also be administrated by injection!! (don't fancy that idea).
Emma I do hope you get to the bottom of it as migraines can be very dibilitating and can interfere with your day to day life...people who do not get them don't really appreciate just how severe they can be.

P.S Drink plenty of water!!!

#8 ·
Stress is a hard one to call, I don't really push myself when I train, but I notice a huge difference if I run in the evening after a hard day at work. I have found through trial and error that I run best on a Sunday or Saturday morning 1st thing and I'm sure it is related.

#10 ·
Thanks Nick - Don't worry I have seen the Doc and been perscribed Imigran (SP). As she is completely uninterested in taking a holistic approach I am trying to get to the bottom of it myself as I am fairly confirdent that it can be managed with lifestyle changes etc.

Not saying I won't take the drugs when it hurts I just think that undertanding triggers etc will help!!

#11 ·
Hi EmmaC

I have suffered with migraines for a few years too and it took a while to get to the bottom of the cause, I could eat chocolate, nuts, cheese and wouldn't have an attack so my doctor wasn't interested. I then kept a diary to see what triggered the attacks and have found that the flourescent lights at work can bring on a migraine within seconds. Hence, I'm not popular at work as I can't have the overhead lights on near me and even my desk lamp can be too bright but my attacks are very few now. Also, I have know bright car headlights to bring them on. Sometimes I have found that a run can actually help with curing the headache, its just getting going thats the hard part!

Good luck with finding the cause of them.

#12 ·
Thats interesting what you say both about light and a run can help get rid of a headache - I find that one fool proof method for me to get a migrane is to have anything longer than a 2 hour meeting in our office meeting room, very bad lighting in the room. I have to if I time it right found that a run can help if timed right, normally when it's at the point that it is only a few hours of going - trouble is as the attacks are getting longer that is getting harder to do!! Maybe it is something to do with the increase in bloodflow forcing the capilleries to open from there contracted state ( any doctors qualify that?)

Kaz how have you address the issue at work, not sure I am going to pull off a 'sorry no meeting rule'!

#15 ·
Hi EmmaC

I had a bad issue at work one day when my migraine got so bad they realised that the situation had to be resolved. They agreed that we could have desk lamps and these could be used instead of the overhead flourescent lights, this helped a lot and cut my migraines instantly. The only trouble is my desk lamp usually ends up pointing at the ceiling as I still find it far too bright but this seems to work. My manager is good and the other team members have gotten better in realising that I cannot work with the overhead lights on and they tend to use their desklamps all the time (even pointed at the celing too!)

If I have to attend meetings in rooms with really bad lighting I find I can get a migraine so usually start taking tablets almost as soon as entering the room, if anyone asks I just explain and they will usually try to help anyway they can and if possible changing the lighting. Also, I try to work out the best place to sit so I'm not so badly affected by the lights. Even have to adopt this rule in the gym as they have flourescent lighting and the glare on some of the machines I wouldn't last a minute! Its horrible being so sensitive to the lights but once they see you with a bad migraine they do get more sympathetic and will try to work out a solution, could even come under health & safety at work.

Good luck and let us know if you find a cure or way to prevent your migraines. Mainly trial and error.

#18 ·
Keep up the running I find it helps get rid of stress. Also a nightly soak in a warm bubble bath with a few drops of lavender oil also helps you unwind and get a good nights sleep ready to face the next day.

i do hope you find something that works for you Emma, I know MIGRAINES ARE AWFUL!!! keep us posted....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.