Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive lost it :(
Not been out running for the last 2 and a bit weeks mostly due to being away in France or not being well but last night I was going to go for a run but ended up staying in.

I was going to go to my running club on Tuesday night but it was a 10mile run and since i havent been out for a while I didnt go because I knew I would struggle, I need to get out running again though because I have a 10k run to do next Sunday and I would like to run it all rather than run / walk.

Why have I lost my running mojo and where can I find it again!?!

O.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Sorry to hear that Owain, I'm sure it happens to everyone at some point. I always struggle after a couple of weeks off.

You've just got to force yourself out of the door and have a comfortable short run or two at first, remember how you felt when you were really enjoying it and within a week or two you'll be back on track.:)

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Have you looked down the back of the sofa? A wise man once told me you'll always find something down the back of the sofa. :rolleyes:

In all seriousness though, I know how you feel. After a break from running it can seem all too easy / appealing to just 'not bother' and stay at home.

Force yourself out for a few steady jogs try and forget the pace/time/distance and after a few runs you'll start to get back into a routine - If your 10k's a race then I'm sure that will probably do more than anything else to re-juvinate your motivatio. Whether you do well or badly, you'll come away wanting to train harder and improve ;)

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
The 10k will help you find it Owain,I`m sure.

·
Registered
131 Posts
maybe you were just needing a break. i guess its just about forcing yourself over the door that first time and you'll be off again. why not just go for a short run initially so the thought of being out for a long time and struggling doesn't put you off?

also, think of the satisfaction you'll get on posting here tomorrow saying you are back in the swing of things again.

we're all with you, just get the trainers on mate....

·
Registered
693 Posts
I agree, even a 10 second dash down the road is better than nothing and the fresh air on your face will be a real tonic. I always tell myself I'm just going to run for a mile then end up running for a lot longer as I end up enjoying it so much without the pressure of thinking I have to do a certain distance today.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Been a wee bit like that myself recently; too much overtime at work has disrupted my schedule a bit.

I've also had a bit of a sore back and the suddenly shorter days have left me out of sorts.... I am off on hols in two weeks time so if I can just keep things ticking over until then hopefully when I get back I will be raring to go on my half and full marathon training.

:'(

Its nice to know I am not alone though...

·
Registered
353 Posts
Sorry to hear your feeling out of sorts with your running. I agree with the other on the starting with the short run and see how you feel.

Sending you lots of PMA :happy:

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ladies and Gents,
I have found my mojo again :) It was at ASDA's!! Well, not really but I decided today I had to go out and run, it was raining but I wasnt going to give myself an excuse. The mrs said we needed some shopping so I said, OK but I will take my running stuff with me and run back from the shops, its just under the 2 miles so nothing major but I feel so good that I did go out, I was actually wishing I had gone out earlier so I could go for a longer run but my dinner was waiting for me so I thought I better not go further than planned. :)

13mins later and I was home and really feeling good. Now looking forward to heading out again tomorrow and getting back to the club next Tuesday for my 10mile run. Got some training to do before then but I will be fine and then its the 10k.

Oh the joys of running, thanks for all your support as well, this forum really is a good source of encourgement......lets hope my mojo does leave me again for a wee bit.

One happy O!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Glad to hear your back on the road- IMO it's always a relief to get the first run done after a break- and its always a lot easier that you think it will be (in my experience anyway):)

·
Registered
353 Posts
Great stuff :)

Just wanted to know, where did you put your shopping ;)

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ye I thought my first run back was going to be tough but it wasnt at all!

The Mrs took the car to the shops so she drove the car and the shopping back while I ran after them :)

Bring on tomorrows run going to see how my 10k time is coming along after the break.

One question though which has come about after reading Richards thread about weight loss. Ove the last 2 and a bit weeks of not running I havent put on any weight, which I was pleased about, so my thinking is that my motablism will have slowed down, so, now that I am running again that should speed up again and I should loose more weight? No? Whats your thoughts on this people?

O.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I'd probably tend to focus more on the calories consumed/expended rather than your metabolism... while your metabolism should raise during and after exercise, the main thing to consider is that if you've not put any weight on, you'll more or less be in a calorie equilibrium (calories in = calories out)... if you keep the calories consumed the same, you'll be burning more, and should see some weightloss. Happy Days! :cool:

·
Registered
131 Posts
well done mate, good to hear you're back on track.

i too had the image of a man with 4 asda bags galloping along the road. nice to get a laugh on a grey glasgow day...

·
Registered
298 Posts
One question though which has come about after reading Richards thread about weight loss. Ove the last 2 and a bit weeks of not running I havent put on any weight, which I was pleased about, so my thinking is that my motablism will have slowed down, so, now that I am running again that should speed up again and I should loose more weight? No? Whats your thoughts on this people?

O.
I recently had 6 weeks off from an injury, and my weight stayed stagnant during this time.. I am now week 6 into my current schedule, and I have now shifted around half a stone during my return back. Admittedly this is also at the same time I have lowered my alcohol consumption (2 bottles of wine per week to 1), so that may have something to do with it... but previously even with cutting down every so often I would stay around the same weight..... ?? All other food consumption has continued to stay onstant.... Thoughts?

EDIT TO ADD: Good one Owain...... rough with the smooth hey!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts