Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the last couple of weeks I have been running shorter distances, but more regularly, and have a question about whether this will affect fitness etc. Basically, I've still been running 35 miles a week, but going out 6 days rather than 4. So I haven't done any really long runs (longest ones being 7 or 8 miles, and doing a few 4 and 5 milers). Basically I just haven't had the motivation or time to do any long slow runs. My question is, if I have weeks like this, will it negatively affect my fitness and will I run the risk of putting on weight, or does it not matter as long as I'm still covering the same distance per week? Will longer runs become increasingly difficult if I adopt this new schedule for too long?

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't have thought you'd put on weight; you're still running the same distance, so surely you're using up the same calories? In fact, if you're running shorter distances, won't some of it be a bit faster?

Actually, my average pace has been about the same as when I was doing longer runs. Just haven't felt up to running fast paces. So this week, I did one 5 mile run at race pace, but the rest were actually quite slow runs. My head and body just hasn't been up for fast running recently.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
i think with the burning more or less cals.. it will depend on ur heart rate and if its in the "fat burn" zone
over a long run thats slower ur HR will prob be a bit less on average (im guessing) so i would have thought that long of say 10miles would burn more cals than 2 5miles

but thats just beasty logic and may have no bearing on reality

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
if you want to run 6 days a week then you really have to take it easier... you cannot do the push hard one day then rest for two like some people do as you havent the time to recover... i tend to run easy-ish most days nowadays... i think it's best to chill a bit and be consistent... it seems to be working for me... i have stopped doing fast runs but still running the same miles a week as i used to... may be a bit less than i was doing in summer but since the majoriy of the miles are hill miles i think it is actually tougher... in the end of the day just do as you like, stick to it and enjoy it...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts