Runners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Forum,

Around 6 months ago I signed up and started training for the VMLM. I am 27 and have played sport all of my life, but have no real previous running history. Initially i was just hoping to train moderately and hope to beat 4 hours. Now the marathon has been postponed and I have had some time to get into my groove I have found a real love for running. My mentality has now transitioned towards wanting to become as competitive as possible rather than just get round. My current times are 19:45 (5k), 43:04 (10)k and 1:38 (half). I spent many months just trying to run fast all the time, but now as I ramp up my mileage to 30 miles a week i am incorporating mainly MAF training, with the odd tempo run. I feel comfortable i will be able to get to c.40 miles per week in peak training, but with work and football i think it is somewhat unrealistic that i could cram in many more miles.

I wondered if anyone with experience could give me a realisitic marathon goal time based on my current PB's? I would love to run a 3:30, and my times seem aligned to people who i know have run that time, but i am also conscious that running that on your first race is very tough.

I think as my training ramps up it is important i know what is a realistic target as i would like to do as much training as possible in and around that pace.

Thanks in advance.

·
4,264 Posts
Here are a coup[le ways of 'predicting' a marathon time. 2 times your half marathon time plus 10min and 5 times your 10k time minus 10mins. These give you a times of 3:26 and 3:25. These times are of course dependent on you doing the correct training etc in the build up to the race.
Personally I would not chase a time on my first marathon, that can come later. Aim to complete rather than compete.
My first marathon was a 3:41 but my second was 2:57 and my third 2:48.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Indeed, that rule worked for me, roughly, 5 years back when in round numbers I had pbs at 1:37 half and 3:21 marathon, but I think that works only when you have run quite a few marathons. I would add 15 or even 20 mins for your first. I agree about not chasing the time because it tends to make you do the most common error: set off too quick and early on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts