Runners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I go running 2/3 times a week, usually going 4-6 miles each time. My routes are practically 100% concrete and roads.

Should I be worried about any nasty damage to my ankles, knees, muscles, etc, given the amount I run on the surface it is?

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
i wouldnt worry about it as long as you have deacent trainers that are correct for your style
in the nicest way.. your current distance isnt that big compared to some..

·
Registered
295 Posts
I run 30ish miles a week. All on concrete, no problems so far. But the correct trainers are a must I think.
im hopeing to be running those amount of miles per week, just had a look at your training blogs, im impressed, i've decided to do the edinburgh half in the spring.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
im hopeing to be running those amount of miles per week, just had a look at your training blogs, im impressed, i've decided to do the edinburgh half in the spring.
Thanks, I should find more time to write them up. Actually I told a porky, some miles are on the treadmill when it is more convenient, but they are logged on the Nike+. All the blogs are garmin runs.

Signing up for the Half is a good idea as it will give you a goal and help keep you motivated :)

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I reckon 95% of my running has been on road...I prefer it by far...not sure about my joints though!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
You could be right, but I thought good bone density mainly helped to prevent osteoporosis?
Yeah, I thought high impact -> high bone density -> protection against osteoporosis too.

Surely the high impact would be bad for your joints and therefore make arthritis MORE likely?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I prefer running off-road (along a canal towpath usually) but it's not really practical during the week at the moment, as it's too dark. I did push my luck on Tuesday night and went out when there was still a bit of light in the sky. I was fine on the tow-path but once I was back on the road there was a short stretch without pavement, and since I wasn't wearing any high-vis stuff (except a wristband :lol:) I ran on the verge. I nearly went flying when one foot landed unexpectedly in a dip. Fortunately, I just managed to keep running. Shan't be doing that route again after dark.

So most of my running, at least while the mornings are dark, is on tarmac. When I first started out, I found that tarmac was hard on my shins, and that's when I switched to off-road as much as poss, but it doesn't seem to be a problem now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts