Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Just wanted your thoughts on this...

As some of you may know I started running about this time last year and initially did all my running on my treadmill. I didn't have any injury problems and managed to run 10k (albeit slowly) after 8 weeks of running. I then switched to doing most of my running outside, on pavements and roads, and since then I seem to have been plagued by injuries - firstly a groin pull, then lower back problems and now I am suffering with sore shins.

I saw physio last September regarding the back and groin troubles and she told me I needed to improve flexibility - I have been diligently doing all my stretches and have even been doing yoga classes since October.

Am really disappointed to be injured again, as I thought I was doing everything right ie proper shoes, proper stretching, slowly increasing mileage and now feel really grrrrr....:mad: ....and just wonder whether I should switch back to the tready (yawn) or even if I'm not cut out for this runnin lark after all :(

Interested to hear your thoughts (and any tips for dealing with shin splints while you're at it!)

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Hi Go slow ,I presume from your post that you now do all your running on the road

If possible try to run on a variety of surfaces eg road tarmac grass beachetc etc

are you doing a variety of runs ie somer speedwork long runs short runs easy sessions hard sessions hill work rest days and so forth.

Rest is important . Maybeyou cuold swap some of your easy days for swimming or cycling to reduce the impact effects of running on hard surfaces

running on grass certainly lessens the pain of sore shins .

You said i think that you've had your gait checked ? do your trainers need renewing they recommend 500 miles or there abouts nnothing too hard and fast but you can generally tell the foam rubber becomes compressed and you can feel more of the road as it were .

Icing the sore bits also helps after your runs!

I hope this helps a bit , i'm sure there'll be some other views as per usual

Take it easy

Cheriton;)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Cheriton.

I do 2-3 steady runs a week, to just try and build up some miles at the moment, all on tarmac/concrete, plus one intervals session on the treadmill. I might try a bit of running on grass but always worried about falling over on off road surfaces :embarrassed:

I have had gait checked and overpronate slightly on the affected leg but have shoes that are supposed to control this, and I have only run about 250 miles in them so they shouldnt have worn out yet! Although I do also walk to work in them (2 miles a day), so not sure if I should count this as well?

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
GoSlow said:
Thanks for the reply Cheriton.

I do 2-3 steady runs a week, to just try and build up some miles at the moment, all on tarmac/concrete, plus one intervals session on the treadmill. I might try a bit of running on grass but always worried about falling over on off road surfaces :embarrassed:

I have had gait checked and overpronate slightly on the affected leg but have shoes that are supposed to control this, and I have only run about 250 miles in them so they shouldnt have worn out yet! Although I do also walk to work in them (2 miles a day), so not sure if I should count this as well?
That could be the problem then impact ! the reason you should vary your runs are many fold but some are that it gets you to use some different muscles which should improve you overall .

I would definately try to get on some softer surfaces to reduce the impact

To help your back you need to try to do some exercises for your stomach muscles !

I've had a disc removed so i have to be careful with impact i therefore buy the best shoes i can afford currently saucony progrid triumph 5's Expensive but worth every penny to me

Not suitable for you though as you o.p.

You don't say how many miles your doing but however many it is i would reduce the mileage your doing to lessen the effects of the shin splints

There is a plethora of articles about shin splints if you google it far more informative than i can be ,i do know that they can cause you to run awkwardly which is probably why your back hurts!

Don't give up though you'll come through it try to follow some of this advice it should help

One other thing while i'm thinking about it is do you have a problem with your arches as the muscle that runs down your shin runs also under your foot?

Again if you google it you should find a lot of goodstuff

Good luck with it all keep us posted !

Cheriton

1 - 4 of 4 Posts