Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am doing a 20km run at the weekend. It is part road and part off road (constant switching) and I will be wearing standard Asics trainers......here is the problem.....the ground is very wet and I am going to get wet feet on the off road part....

Have you any tips ot tricks to minimise discomfort?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
S :(

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
A twin - with Solomons for the off-road bits??? Sorry.

Ermmm probably good socks - double layer. Don't puddle hop though - it can really damage your time... just put up with it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Not such a silly question...I've been pondering what to do about footwear for a while. I'm training for the DW (Devizes to Westminster canoe race) 2009 (K2 straight through for those in the know) and obviously it involves quite a bit of running at portages. The river/canal banks get chewed up and very slippery - a slip or fall can result in a smashed kayak or rudder, let alone injury. Most running is on the towpath, but that can get slippery too. What can I use to help ? Football / hockey boots with studs ? What are they like to run in ? Bearing in mind they will get wet what with being in the boat and an inevitable dunking. Grip on mud and running comfort are essential. Any ideas anyone ?:confused:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not so worried about the slippery ground as i will be running on grass....although that is a great point

Is putting something like vaseline on you feet a good idea or bad idea?

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
from looking into some of the adventrue race type things they were suggesting socks with a fairly high wool content. i think the theroy was so that they maintain heat.

·
Registered
264 Posts
This is just a guess but you may find that vaseline will trap a layer of water between it and your feet which may cause blisters.

I do a lot of off road stuff and during the winter, get very wet but its never really bothered me. The only time wet feet became a problem was when I was mountain biking, I was out in the snow, went through water which drenched my feet, after that, the cold wind from going fast on the bike frooze my feet (not literally). I bought a pair or gortex socks after that. I find that my feet get pretty wet in the summer too from sweat.

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
I used ot have a pair of Mizunos that had air holes in the bottoms of them to help your feet breathe and the air flow around them. Great on dry tar terrible on wet mud and slushy puddles in winter, ice cold water jetting up to your foot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts