Runners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found myself a running partner and start running with her this week. I'm very nervous as she has already a 10k under her belt although she does insist that she is very slow..........she has also entered a Marathon!!!! Has anyone any advice for me as I am extremely nervous that I wont be able to keep up!!:huh:

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Nellie said:
I have found myself a running partner and start running with her this week. I'm very nervous as she has already a 10k under her belt although she does insist that she is very slow..........she has also entered a Marathon!!!! Has anyone any advice for me as I am extremely nervous that I wont be able to keep up!!:huh:

Relax for a start Nellie, panicking will make you worse, make a descision on whether you still want to run with her after a few runs you might just surprise yourself and be as good if not better, besides even if she is better it will bring you along in no time, but most of all don't worry, hope this helps :huh:

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Talk talk talk...it'll slow her down, if need be, and distract both of you.

Go off slower than you normally do saying you like to go slowly at the start and then pick up pace as, and if, necessary.
I'm sure she'll be pleased to have you as company and won't be worried about speed.

Let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I was reading something in Runnersworld the other week about running with a faster friend - a technique where the faster one runs ahead slightly but keeps looping back to the slower runner therefore getting twice the workout so it can work to both your advantage. I think twinks is right it will bring on your running especially if she is more experienced and it will be fun as well.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Steady Edwina said:
I was reading something in Runnersworld the other week about running with a faster friend - a technique where the faster one runs ahead slightly but keeps looping back to the slower runner therefore getting twice the workout so it can work to both your advantage. I think twinks is right it will bring on your running especially if she is more experienced and it will be fun as well.
That's something that I do with SWMBO, as well as on club runs.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I felt exactly the same when I first ran with 'another man', he turned out to be much quicker than the pace I would comfortably run at. Like others have said, talk as much as is possible and if its a struggle then slow down.

I have to say that over a period of time I have both managed to slow him down and he's pulled my time up (a little bit)

·
Registered
813 Posts
Hi nellie,

Go out and enjoy yourself! it will be nice to have company. Run at your usual pace, see how things go. It won't do you any good to try and keep up with someone too much faster, but if she will stick to your pace to start with you may feel you can speed up in time.

Last summer when I hadn't been running long, I tried to keep up with my 'elder' sister....big mistake! it zapped my confidence. I meet up with my running partner once a week, she was 8 mins behind me on the five mile race, but we can still run together ok when we can. Perhaps suggest going at your pace but adding some extra distance?

Just see how it goes, but make sure you enjoy it!

Good luck, keep us posted.

Lyn.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi eveyone

Well you all were right...I had a great time, my new runnint partner runs at my pace even though she has competed in a lot of races she is just happy to get around the course and has no desire to go too fast. We only ran for 30 minutes, and not sure how far we covered but I don't mind. Who knows I may even enter a race myself soon!!!! We are meeting up again next week. Cant wait.

p.s. felt so good went out again today!!!

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
fab news so pleased for you :d :d definitely enter a race you won't regret it, great fun :eek:

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Excellent Nellie...good for you!
Take the plunge....find a 10k near you and enter asap!!

I say 10k rather than 5k as shorter distances, in my experience, attract quicker runners more than beginners or slower runners and so can be more intimidating.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts