Runners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read on more than one occasion that, when you run, your arms should ideally be at a kind of 90 degree angle, working 'like pistons' at your side. However, I can't help noticing that my own arms always end up over my chest. Does it really matter or make any difference whatsoever?

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
i seam to rember reading somewhere that if your arms are crossed over your chest that it can lead to your shoulders being hunched up and not relaxed as they should be

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
I heard it was better to have your arms as low as possible so that your heart doesnt need to pump the blood as hard, but now I think about it Im not so sure if thats correct. I just tend to let them do their own thing while running :)

O.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
i run with my arms in the air :p

joke :rolleyes:

like phoebe from friends

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
running with your arms at a 90 degree angle is supposed to use less energy as opposed them crossing your chest.

:d

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
i try that but i always end up with them near my chest :p

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It just seems natural for my arms to hover around my chest. The thing is, my hands are always stretched out so I look as if I'm cupping imaginary breasts. It's not a good look.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I keep my arms pretty high and around 90 degrees and have a short stride pattern. Don't always pump my arms as much as I should. Sometimes I adopt a style not too dissimilar to Michael Johnson, but not as silly looking. Keep my back pretty straight.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I usually have my arms around chest height too. I tend to make sure they saty near my sides, as opposed to in front of me. This helps me relax my shoulders, also one of the coaches at my club says that this helps stops me compressing my airways.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think it what suits you and what keeps your pace, I do use the 90 degrees technique, but its whats best for you... just remember to stay relaxed during your run, being relaxed will use less energy and I tink keeping your arms at a 90 degrees angle doesent use as much energy...

hope this helps!

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I keep my arms pretty high and around 90 degrees and have a short stride pattern. Don't always pump my arms as much as I should. Sometimes I adopt a style not too dissimilar to Michael Johnson, but not as silly looking. Keep my back pretty straight.
So you don't look as silly as Michael Johnson? I wish I could look as "silly" as him when I run, my times might improve.:lol:

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
As TT mentioned,proper arm drive helps to conserve your energy,maintain balance and gain speed.

High arms causes muscle fatigue, tension in the shoulders and upper back aswell as a shortened stride length.

Low arms cause excessive forward lean and inefficiency in your stride.

It is also important not to clench your fists or point your fingers stiffly.......

It's just a case of putting it in to practice.:lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts