Runners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i currently run on a monday, wednesday and friday for about 3 - 5 miles, i can run a mile in about 6:35 is that a good speed? i was thinking about increasing the amount that i run by adding a run on teusday and then on saturday later after i have got used to running more often. would this be a good idea to increase fitness levels?
someone advised me that i should try running on monday, thursday and saturday for 30 minutes, and swim/cycle for 45 minutes on teusday and friday, increasing time after a while, and adding fartlek into it, and wednesday and sunday being rest, would this be a better programme to use?
also, is there any difference between running AM and PM when trying to improve fitness?

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
it's really up to you... there's no rules...

if you want to run run... if you want to swim swim... and if you want to cycle... yeah... cycle... :d

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
It really depends what your goals are... if you want to be the best runner you can be, then the more you run the better - but at the same time cross training (cycling, swimming etc) will also be beneficial to your overall fitness, which will still help your running, but will decrease the risk of an overuse injury.

As for AM vs PM... again it's personal preference - the muscles will naturally tend to be a little less flexible in the morning (as they've been inactive all night) but in terms of one being more effective than the other, there's no difference that I know of, and certainly not enough of a difference to worry about. By the time you become a pro international athlete you'll be running am & pm anyway ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts