Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the running world. I have been training for a half marathon for about 4 months now and will be running my first here in 3 weeks. I am looking for suggestions on a good pair of running shorts that won't ride up in the crotch. I am 5'4'' and currently 150 pounds. I have larger thighs and they do tend to touch a bit towards my crotch. I would like to find a great pair of spandex shorts that don't ride up so I can complete my half marathon without the dreaded chaffing or having to pull them down every so often. Any suggestions would be extremely helpful. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Quite a few makers do ones with an inner cycle short or compression type liner, with a loose short over. These might help, especially to keep a bit warmer this time of year.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm slightly heavier and slightly taller than you and carry a fair bit of weight on my thighs, so possibly similar to you. I have eventually settled on short but not fitted shorts and anti-chafing gel (I use the cheap Decathlon version). Shorts like these:

http://store.nike.com/gb/en_gb/pd/7-5cm-modern-embossed-tempo-running-shorts/pid-10340084/pgid-11076043

Compression-style and fitted lycra shorts still end up riding up for me - or the Salomon 2 in 1 shorts and the fitted Decathlon shorts I tried did.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm slightly heavier and slightly taller than you and carry a fair bit of weight on my thighs, so possibly similar to you. I have eventually settled on short but not fitted shorts and anti-chafing gel (I use the cheap Decathlon version). Shorts like these:

http://store.nike.com/gb/en_gb/pd/7-5cm-modern-embossed-tempo-running-shorts/pid-10340084/pgid-11076043

Compression-style and fitted lycra shorts still end up riding up for me - or the Salomon 2 in 1 shorts and the fitted Decathlon shorts I tried did.
Hi, I had the same problem dozens of years ago when I started running marathons. My thighs rubbed or chafed on long distances due to large thighs. I began using running shorts that were all nylon with a liner. Around 10 miles in; I would adjust them several times due to the uncomfortable chafing. Then, I experimented with creams, Vaseline, and other gels, which helped enormously, but did not eliminate the problem. Finally, I changed my running attire completely. I now run with a Lycra liner (I always get 1 size larger since the compression of Lycra can be a bit snug for a man), and fitted polyester shorts designed for running only. Asics has some good shorts out there, but beware if you order online, because the weight is usually too thin. You really have to go to a shop and try on the outer shorts before buying.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts