Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a relative beginner to running, and was just wondering are running socks important? I understand a decent pair of trainers are but haven't bothered with running socks thus far??

·
Registered
147 Posts
I haven't bothered in the past; never had any trouble with blisters or anything like that so I didn't see any need for them.

Although, I was trying on a pair of trainers in a running shop 2 weeks ago and they lent me a pair of socks because I'd gone in wearing sandals. The socks were sooooo nice :) especially as I only ever buy the cheapest of the cheap when it comes to socks. I've now bought 3 pairs since they were on offer, but haven't been out running yet to notice a difference.

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
I'd have to say yes they are important. Not much point spending time and money getting the right trainers and just putting any old socks on. I've got a pair of Sky Run socks and they have outlasted 3 pairs of trainers. Feel better on too. Worth every penny.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Agree with Squint, started off using any old sports socks, but having tried proper running socks wouldn't consider anything else now.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Can't say that it matters, probably a case of whatever you feel most comfortable with. Personally, I wear a pair of trainer liners (cheap sports ones from sportsworld)

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
I think it all depends on your level. You state you are a beginner and if that means a one mile run/walkthree times a week it probably makes no difference.

Once the mileage goes up and you spend more time on your feet then comfort becomes more of an issue as you battle blisters etc.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I have a couple of pairs but have never really noticed the difference between these and thick 'sports' socks.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Certainly not essential, but I don't think anyone can deny how much more comfortable they are. I think it's similar to any other running clothing - not essential but can make your life whilst running more enjoyable :)

If you're not having any problems, there's no need to buy running socks unless you fancy treating yourself ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
As part of my running route is over a soggy field, my feet are invariably soaked by the time I get home. My understanding of running socks are that they wick the moisture away from the foot. Is this right, and does anyone have experience of how good they are at doing this?

·
Registered
264 Posts
I had to buy some more ankle socks for running so I decided to buy some when I bought some new trainers. The socks cost £10 for one pair!!

A month later, I bought 3 cheap pairs for a fiver. No, they are not as comfortable and yes they do get like cardboard after washing them a few times but I don't mind. 10 quid for a pair of socks is too much.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
if anyone can get to a decathlon store, they do some GREAT budget running socks, two pairs for £4.50 and they feel leagues ahead of your average white cotton sports sock.

They don't 'look' as fancy as the likes of X-socks and otehr expensive socks (which I also own), but so far they feel just as nice as the X-socks.

Sammy C, my experience of 'wicking moisture away' in socks is that your feet don't feel wet if they get sweaty, but once they get soaked by puddles etc, they're going to stay pretty wet. Have a look for some of the thread on blisters where socks & moisture around the foot seems to be mentioned a lot. I remember one post by footman where he spoke of some woollen type socks which are supposedly great for drawing moisture away from the skin etc.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Will do, cheers :) I've got a couple of books on running from the library, so you'll all have to excuse me if I start bandying running phrases and terminology about with gay abandon :D

·
Registered
835 Posts
I think it all depends on your level. You state you are a beginner and if that means a one mile run/walkthree times a week it probably makes no difference.

Once the mileage goes up and you spend more time on your feet then comfort becomes more of an issue as you battle blisters etc.
I disagree, I run an average of around 15 miles a week and have never had a problem with cheap socks. Though the one blister I have had was caused by a putting them on hastily and having a fold in the material, it caused me problems for nearly a fortnight.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
I do similar mileage scr8pe in cheap sock. I was more thinking of the 50-80 milers amongst us. But as I am nowhere near that level I can't really comment.

·
Registered
835 Posts
50-80 ! That's ultra mileage. I think our 15 a week is probably over the average mileage for the more sane runners among us!

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Just to add to my previous post(s)... On 30-40miles I wouldn't feel confident using normal sports socks, but cheap running socks that have varying levels of elasticity (so they fit snugly to the entire foot) do me fine. Running socks are well worth having if you run a lot, and they don't need to cost the earth!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I bought a pare of Nike Dry Fit socks when I started out, and ~2 miles I could start to feel the blister forming on my right foot in the inside edge, where the support band runs across the sock.

I originally thought it was my trainers, but I recently changed to a pair of cheap Run365 socks
http://www.jjbsports.com/run-365-socks---2-pack//shop/fcp-product/9184

and I don't get blisters any more.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts