Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I run, I'm mainly doing it to burn fat. I run about 2/3 times a week (wondering whether I should try and get this up to 4?), and I do it first thing in the morning before work, and before breakfast. I'm trying to get into the habit of eating smaller, more regular meals throughout the day to compliment the running and help my metabolism, etc.

I've read a bunch of websites giving tips on how to run to burn fat, but was wondering if you peeps might have some tidbits that I've not come across yet... so fire away with any advice that springs to mind, please :)

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
As per the scientists...Running at a lower intensity encourages the body to burn fat preferentially as an energy source, though don't necessarily assume this means it will burn more fat each run...

If you run based on TIME, (e.g. decide to run for 30mins) you will burn more fat by running at a higher intensity - since you will be travelling further within that time and burning more calories. If you run based on DISTANCE (e.g. you head out for a 3mile run), then running at the lower intensity will encourage the body to use fat as an energy source rather than glycogen stored in the muscles.

However...
In reality I'm not sure how much of a difference this really has. Now I'm not qualified in any way on biolgoical matters, but I think it would be fair to argue that if you use energy (glycogen) from your muscles during exercise, then it WILL get replaced, one way or another... the body will do this whilst you're NOT exercising.

If you're not eating (i.e. not consuming energy) at the time, it will convert fat to energy and top up your glycogen stores, if you are eating, it will convert the the food to glycogen, any excess energy/calories consumed will ultimately get stored as fat... so in reality, does it actually matter what intensity we run in terms of trying to burn fat? Surely the most important factor is simply ensuring we create a calorie defecit?

Just something to think about - it could be complete tosh! :lol:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts