Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With my running I have two aims. One is to improve and hopefully enjoy it more and the other is to shed a few pounds. I'm currently at the top end of my ideal BMI and I'd like to be somewhere between the middle and bottom end which means losing around 1.5st to 2st. The current plan is to do three 5k runs a week and one 7k. What kind and quantity of food should I be eating to give myself enough energy to run but a low enough intake to lose weight? Also, when is the best time to eat? I'm guessing just before a run is not good but is it a good idea to have a small snack of something like a banana an half an hour or an hour before? Any advice or links to suitable resources would be much apprediated.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Eating less than before is the key, but not so little you don't have the energy :)

In the early stages I simply cut out the snacks and reduced my portion size. Later I switched to porridge for breakfast and fruit for lunch but you will get a feel for how much you need to eat as you progress.

Oh, and if you drink try a month off. It is surprising how much a drink can stall you (as I well know)

Let us know how you are getting on

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
The other thing is to keep well hydrated, a lot of weight is just water. If you keep yourself well hyrdated then your body doesnt store water.

A good indication of how well your hyrdated is by the colour of your wee....the clearer it is the better. :)

O.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Just a quick note... there are more accurate and important measures of health in terms of weight, such as body fat ratio... I too am at the upper end of my Ideal BMI range, but know I have an excessive amount of bodyfat and hence would like to shift some weight.

BMI doesn't account for build type, athletes and muscular build people don't fair too well on the BMI scale - a well cited example is Johnny Wilkinson is classed as being Obese on the BMI scale - would you think that to look at him? lol.

It may be of some benefit for you to have a read through the "Why can't I lose weight?" thread that I started not too long ago - there's a tonne of information in there about various theories, myths etc... :d

1 - 4 of 4 Posts