Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was halfthinking of sticking this in the thread i already started buy figured others may benefit from it being more clearly marked.

Anyway I've hopefully started on a beginners program with the aim of primarily losing weight. Being 11 odd stone when you're only 5,2" is not good.

I was wondering if there is anything I should think about bar improving my diet along with the running. Heck I'm not really even sure how to improve my diet to the amount I'd need to. Maybe need to look that up.

Has anyone else taken up running for the main purpose of shedding pounds? If so how long did it take you to notice a difference?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
11 stone at 5'2'' isn't too terrible, is it? I was about that (although managed to lose >1 stone recently :d )

Good luck with it anyway :) The running will definitely help, I found that cutting out snacks between meals worked.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suppose if I really put my mind to it (which is what I'm trying to do now) two stone is not a huge amount to lose (wish to get down to 136lb).

I'm never really sure what weight I'm supposed to be, all these calculations from height etc don't seem to work. I do a bit of light weight trainning once a week so have some muscle build up from that which adds to the weight.

A size 10 in clothes will do me!:d

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great stuff JBBury that's very encouraging for anyone just getting into this and hoping to lose a bit of beef.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Wingfinger, there is no better form of exercise than running to lose weight, keep at it and you'll soon be sheding the poundage :d

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hi WingFinger..

I've just joined the forum and I'm trying to lose a bit of weight with my running. I've been running for about a month now. I hated it at first but (although I never thought I'd say this) I'm actually starting to enjoy it.

The hardest bit is dragging myself out the door.. then the rest is very enjoyable on the whole.

When I started running I was 16st 3lb (I'm 6' 2" and quite a broad build) I'm now 16st 5lb !!

I'm comforting myself that muscle weighs heavier than fat (apparently 3 times heavier?!)

I'm certainly getting fitter though which is encouraging. I started by running/walking 2.4 miles (mainly walking). Now I'm running the first 1.2 miles non-stop and only stopping 3 or 4 times on the last 1.2 miles...

Early signs are encouraging but I think if you try and watch what you eat as well you'll only enhance the effects of the running.

;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm hehe well I refuse to cut out the things I really like which are bad for me but I'll try and have them only on occassion, it's crisps, chips and cheese that do me in.

This week I should be able to do a fair bit of exercise anyway if I manage to do the 3 sessions of walk 1.5min, run 1min. Went out on an hour walk today to check out the start of a hill walk I intend to do soon and will go swimming later.

Was going to try a session today but feeling rather sore after my weight training at the gym last night, a good swim should help that though and I'll do the running in my lunch break tomorrow and one on Saturday as well. So far have lost 2lb but I think I'll measure success in dropping of clothes sizes rather than weight.

Sunday = gym
Monday = running
Tuesday = gym
Wednesday = walk, swim
Thursday = running
Friday = gym
Saturday = running

Might be done in by Monday and will need a rest heh!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I lost best part of 2 stone in about 3 months (went from just under 14 stone to just over 12 stone) last summer. Running for half an hour 3 or 4 times a week plus a diet that was fruit for breakfast, plain chicken/ham/tuna salad for lunch and something sensible in the eve with lots of veg. Put about half of it back on over Christmas :eek: but I'm less depressed about that than most years because I know that I have the key to getting it off again. And since crimbo and making sure I get out 3 times a week it's coming off again. Or at least it would if I left the biscuits at work alone.:embarrassed:

If you stick with it, it will happen.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
WingFinger said:
Hmm hehe well I refuse to cut out the things I really like which are bad for me but I'll try and have them only on occassion, it's crisps, chips and cheese that do me in.
One of the reasons I run is so that I can eat loads of what I love and have a few pints without having to worry to much about puting weight on.

Works for me, so stay with the exercise and continue to treat yourself to the things you like.

Best of luck....

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
I started running at 15st 7lbs and got down to 12st 7lbs, after the Christmas binge I weighed myself at 13st and back down now to 12st 11lbs... Though I think i'm going to struggle getting past 12st 7lbs as I really seemed to plateu there last time.

I know everyone has their own sort of 'natural weight' but i'm sure mine can't be 12st 7lbs! I used to be pretty darn skinny - and if I want to improve enough to reach my 2008 goals by the end of the year then I'm going to have to get my jacksy under the 12st mark at least! Have made a start by improving by cutting out all the calorific foods I indulged in over xmas, and also I've cut the booze completely - If that doesn't work the I'm stumped! lol.

In answer to your original question though, I did start with the main goal of losing weight and getting into some shape that wasn't 'round'. I noticed an improvement not long after starting (perhaps a fortnight when I started to drop weight). You should soon see improvements on the scales and with a bit more time you'll start seeing a physical difference too. (in my experience the numbers always dropped before my appearance seemed to change)...

·
Registered
348 Posts
Running is definitely as good as it gets for losing weight (with 100-125 calories burnt per mile for your average person), BUT you will only lose weight if you are fairly sensible with your diet too. If you think about the calories in common snacks and treats you'll realise running can only help so much:

Mars Bar = 330+ calories or 3 miles
A standard yogurt = 120 calories or 1 mile
A pint of Lager = 240 calories or 2 miles
A std packet of crisps = 180 calories or 1.5 miles

So if you had a Mars Bar a day you would have to run 21 miles a week just to come out even for a week!!!

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
...and that of course if before you even start to think about meals! I often get criticised (especially by the other half) for taking an interest in how many calories everything has, but it's only so I know what's going into my body and I can keep a mental note of it. Some may call it calorie counting, i'd just call it common sense! :p

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In 2006 I think I started a diet of sorts though it wasn't really a diet at all I just tried to exercise more and eat healthier. as a result I dropped about a stone and a half but got seriously discouraged when any more flab refused to drop. Ever since then I slowly went back to where I started.

I suppose I'm quite lucky in a way as I can't stand the taste of alcohol so drinking booze isn't a problem. Have managed to go without crisps this week so far too though I'm afraid I don't intend to cut them completely out.:embarrassed:

Will see how we go from here I suppose

·
Registered
707 Posts
Sorry haven't read the previous replies, but my story is much the same as yours. I am 5'2" and weight almost 13 stone, coming on for a size 16! Now in all honesty the diet was the first thing to change, and I lost about 2.5 stone (dunno if you're male or female, but coming off the pill probably helped too :p ). Anyway, I then took up running in the January (couple years ago now), and definitely definitely by July I was a size 8, 9 stone. BUT I was going to the gym atleast 3 times a week to start off with and slowly phased into running 5 days a week and a long gym session once a week, and then chucked in bouldering 3 times a week and cycling to and from uni (you could say, once I got going there was no stopping me!). In all honesty, it really takes quite a bit of time for you to really notice any real change happening, or atleast it seems like that, and you really have to stick at it, but once it gets going I'd say it happens quite quickly. Another thing is that you really shouldn't be too preoccupied with your weight and should just go with how you feel! Like you said, lean mass is heavier then fat, you'll might even find you put on weight before you lose any. So if your clothes are feeling looser and you feel better.. then that's great! That's the true signs :)

It is very important not to go toooo crazy though, like I have just seen above, it is very good to treat yourself! You'll resent it if you don't allow yourself the odd treat. Hell, I'm trying to lose my xmas pounds, but I still allow myself the odd bit of dark chocolate (mmmm *drools* greens and black maya gold...)! And I eat cheese quite a lot, but yeah... it's just moderation. If there was one bit of common sense advice about nutrition it would be "everything in moderation"... and if anything it's the highly processed carbs that will make you pack on the pounds, although obviously fatty foods will do it too... so first try switching to brown bread, rice and wholewheat cereals (they fill you up for longer too!) and try to decrease any REALLY sugary foods, and instead of having a huge handful of grated cheese on pasta or something, just put a sprinkling over it... you'll still be able to taste it. I'd have to say cheese is my biggest issue though, I love it in all its forms! But then again, if I don't eat it that often it makes it taste EVEN better!! I haven't had pizza in ages actually... *licks lips* heh.

Anyway, all in all it's great what you're doing, and highly achievable, me and many others are proof of this, but I won't lie... it does take will power... but like I said, allowing yourself a little means you'll be able to resist a lot!

(sorry for the long rant!)

·
Registered
199 Posts
I whole-heartedly agree with the comments of almost_n_s.

I've put on weight since starting running but I look slimmer and I can tell when I put my jeans on that I'm losing a bit around my stomach.

I'm also getting fitter which feels great. Its nice to have the extra energy that I'm getting and also its nice to get into bed and feel genuinely physically tired.

I think the key is sticking at it long enough to get the 'bug'.. I'm getting there I think.

I still find it hard to drag myself out on a run but I feel brilliant once I've finished.

As for dieting. I think doing some exercise gives you a much greater freedom when it comes to foods. I quite like having the odd chocolate or meal out and don't feel guilty because I know that I'm exercising as well.

I would guess that the more you exercise, the fitter you become and the longer you can exercise for.. so I would assume that the weight will come off faster and faster as time goes on and you get fitter... at least that's what I'm hoping :)

·
Registered
506 Posts
I started running at 14st 6lbs - I'm 6ft 2" and that weight is apparently the top-end of my 'healthy' spectrum for my height. Even though tall, I could still feel the excess weight and it was an unpleasant feeling. After a year and a half of running - I never bothered with weighing scales in the first year or so, I decided to weigh myself again out of curiosity as people who I hadn't seen for ages said I looked like I'd lost loads of weight. My weight had dropped to 11st 5lbs. I'd dropped 3stones!! During that first year I avoided singled-out cheese, crisps, and cakes and I was never a chocolate lover anyway. Funny thing is, I never stopped eating a large doner kebab on Friday night, or a pizza, and I still enjoyed drinking regularly. I started eating lighter during the day instead - this was THE key to it for me. I would take a large granary bap with a full tin of tuna on it (very filling and virtually no fat), and a banana for lunch at work and would often eat that late morning approaching midday. I would feel healthily stuffed after eating that and it would last me until evening. Breakfast might be just bran flakes or a piece of toast. In the evening I would eat quite late, perhaps 8'o clock onwards after running in the evening. I used to run 3 times a week for 20-25 minutes and then run longer on sundays up to about 6-7 miles at most. One thing though - I never skipped a run, and i would run two days on the bounce next time if I had to. I never weigh myself these days, I just know that if I can feel the pinch on my waist it's time to be sensible for a few days. I eat pretty much anything now. eat a bit, run a bit, that's my philosophy:d

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
It is important to consider how overweight you are before starting to run. I actually started running after I had lost all my excess weight. I used to be 17 stone, at 6 foot 1 inch, and at that time I purposely did non impact exercise ( I bought an expensive exercise bike and did an hour and a half every night on the highest resistance). I also cut out all saturated fats etc for a year and a half. I didn't go running then, because I figured all that weight would have completely screwed my knees. Anyway, I got down to a healthy 11 and a half stone this way, then took up running when my bike finally broke to maintain my weight. I'm not as strict about my diet, although it is generally healthy, but the running has made sure I stay at this weight. Didn't even put a pound on over the holidays :) But if you are really heavy, you have to be very careful about running, and certainly try and avoid hard surfaces, because you really don't want too much stress on the knees.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Did anyone watch that Jamie Oliver program on Weds night? taking a section of the general public... all about how people are eating themselves to death...

There was a part where they took a cross section of a deceased 28stone Male... comparing him to a 12st male, and in part highlighting the knees... 28st guys looked pretty painful to be walking with, letalone running!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sara

Hi guys I'm Sara and I am so new to this and need any suggestions for a novice runner as only used to treadmill at gym which am ok at but wish to start running properly and raise my fitness level. Any advice out there guys?!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts