Runners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you that have seen my 1st post in the new members section will have seen that I had problems with stress recently, resulting with me having to be signed of work for a few weeks. People have told me that getting fitter will help me to deal with stress better and obviously I have heard the phrase 'healthy body - healthy mind'.

My question is, have you guys and gals found that you feel better equipped mentally since you started running regularly and are you able to deal with life's (and work's) little problems better? If so, whydo you think this is?

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
ive never suffered from clinical stress etc, but if im in an angry/bad mood i find that running seams to help calm me down.. I dont know if its down to my body releasing chemicals or just it gives me a clear time to think etc

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Depends - if its running by myself and I can unwind to music and get in the 'zone' then it helps. Similar it is great if you can run with a group and chat to them at the same time, then its good to get things off your chest (depends if you deal with things better by talking about them).

If its a competition, it could be made worse if I am not performing very well, making me beat myself up even more!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Regardless of how I felt before - I always come back from a run in a good mood. On the other hand I get as cranky as hell if I get injured and can't run for a few days.:mad:

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool bananas! pretty much the answers I was hoping for. Back to work next week so if I have a sh*tty day, at least I can look forward to a good long run to calm myself down and enjoy the rest of the evening without all my problems whizzing around my head and playing on my mind like they were before! Thanks guys and gals!

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
Depends - if its running by myself and I can unwind to music and get in the 'zone' then it helps. Similar it is great if you can run with a group and chat to them at the same time, then its good to get things off your chest (depends if you deal with things better by talking about them).

If its a competition, it could be made worse if I am not performing very well, making me beat myself up even more!

I'm the same - I always end up in a foul mood if a race goes badly.

I always seem to be in a good mood if I've run with people from my club - the chatter helps keep my mind of any problems.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I agree Dad.. More powerfull and potent than morphine, and they continue to be realised after your run. The bodys own feel good drug.
I usually run home from work 3 times a week, and find it's great for clearing the head of the days problems.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Me too......but only if there are dogs around!

Seriously though I find running very good for stress, the effort of a good run clears the head and makes me feel estatic for a while afterwards

·
Registered
674 Posts
Running is great for clearing my head, but since I've been doing it I get really cranky if I can't go on a day I've planned to! Definitely weight it as a positive thing though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts