Runners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pretty much a complete beginner but I want to improve as much as I can in a small space of time.
Would it benefit me to run more than 3 or 4 times a week or would it just be a waste of time?
Should I do 3 days of hard running 3 days of a light jog and a rest day?
I am willing to run on most days and so what would be the most effective way of running.

Just to add another question.
As I have re-started my training, I went straight into a run which I knew that I wouldn't be able to run all of it without stopping to walk at some point. Is it beneficial to run a greater distance than you can run without having to stop?

Thanks in advance! :)

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Elliot... the more running you can manage the quicker you'll improve, the only time LESS running is beneficial is when you're risking suffering overuse injuries.

In relation to the last point, yes - the more time you spend on your feet in one go, the more your body will get used to it and therefore improve your endurance - pushing your body to carry on even when it's tired.

In terms of what would be most effective - there are a huge amount of training schedules around so I'm sure you could find one to suit, they all tend to stick to the Hard/Easy rule, and will incorporate at least one rest day. Personally I'd run:

1 - Easy
2 - Hard
3 - Easy
4 - Hard
5 - Easy
6 - Hard
7 - Rest

But what those runs consist of are entirely up to you! Check out the RW website for more schedules than you can shake a stick at, and they have some 'smartcoach' system as well that comes up with a plan tailored toy our current ability.

Sorry it's not a definitive answer to your question - but hopefully it'll help a little!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that's really helpful!
I do play football and badminton on some days, so I might go with the following training regime:

1 - Easy
2 - Rest
3 - Hard
4 - Easy
5 - Easy/Hard depending on how I'm feeling
6 - Rest
7 - Hard

That'll fit in with my other sports helpfully.
Thanks for the advice... this time I'll try and keep running up til my next competitive run without stopping my training!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts