Runners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been running for a while with an old, battered pair of gym trainers. I feel that I should probably get some proper running shoes and am wondering what sort of impact they would have on my running. Would they actually improve running performance or simply just better for me, in terms of injury prevention etc?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Everyone here will tell you that proper running shoes are essential, to both prevent injury and to make your running more enjoyable. Get yourself to your local running shop and get your gait analysed, they can then advise on the best type of shoe for you. I did and now my problem with my left knee is slowly getting better.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It probably is time really, I've been using my old gym ones for a good 12-18 months now, doing a fair bit of running. Also, there are small holes appearing!

Price wise, what would you recommend? I can't afford an awful lot, around £50-60 really.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
alternativly get the shop to recomend the modle etc and then shop online.. (u may have to pay a small fee for the gait check)
i paid £80 for my mizuno's in the shop but then got a 2nd pair online for £54

·
Registered
23 Posts
there are some great website check out magic feet or M&M - there are often good sales. Running shops are good but expensive. Asics are a good make - :lol:

good luck with the running

·
Registered
272 Posts
Get along to a shop, get your gait analysed and tell them your budget. Most shops will be able to find something suitable and if you take up their time getting a service, please buy from them.

·
Registered
86 Posts
If you've been running for 12/18 months then your lucky not to have an injury. I've got a stress fracture from running in old shoes! If I were you, go and treat yourself to some today, sooner the better!

Ian

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you've been running for 12/18 months then your lucky not to have an injury. I've got a stress fracture from running in old shoes! If I were you, go and treat yourself to some today, sooner the better!

Ian
Thanks for the advice, I think it is time to get some proper trainers. However, if I were to treat myself today I'd need to find a pair for around £1.50!! I'm sure another couple of weeks won't hurt.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Interesting indeed- the NHS Knowledge Service staff are clearly too well brought-up to say "this study is worthless, unscientific pile of poo".

PS The headline of the article, "Don't waste your money on expensive trainers", reminded me of a Viz Top Tip!

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
It doesn't give any idea of intensity or mileage either... that is so irresponsible, how many people have read that and bought cheap trainers to start running in I wonder

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Interesting indeed- the NHS Knowledge Service staff are clearly too well brought-up to say "this study is worthless, unscientific pile of poo".

PS The headline of the article, "Don't waste your money on expensive trainers", reminded me of a Viz Top Tip!

I have to agree with you here Ali. Although I am a loyal NHS employee:d

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the advice.

I have a dillemma regarding gym trainers. I need some new gym trainers but only wish to spend around£20-30, I do use the treadmill from time to time, but not nearly as much as street running. Would using cheaper gym trainers on the treadmill and proper running shoes outdoors have a negative impact? Wouldn't really want to use running trainers for the gym and don't want the hassle of changing whenever I wish to use the treadmill!

Any advice?

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
You can pick up New Balance running shoes for under £30. That's all I ever use. I'm not as pedantic as some others about having exactly the right pair of runners, but it is crucial you have running shoes as opposed to regular trainers for outdoor running. Just pick up some proper running shoes off the shelf at the very least.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts