Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have signed up to a number of events this year and would like to get some serious training under my belt -

3 peaks challenge - lake district - 24 mile hike in a day
Great North Run - 13.1 miles

I am nowhere near "great condition" but have started doing 3 mile runs 3 times per week for the past 3 weeks.

Before my training started I attempted a 5k on a treadmill to see how fit I was roughly and it took me 32 minutes!!!! Shocking I know

2 weeks ago I did my first park run and clocked up a time of 24:32 but was really struggling after it.

The advice I am looking for is do you have any tips for including weight training into a running programme as my legs feel awfully fatigued after a run, and not comfortable.

I would like to train relatively seriously for both events but don't want to be beating a dead horse with training that I don't need of isn't beneficial to me.

Also when should I look to increase the distance? or the speed?

Any help would be massively appreciated.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Try and find a good training plan online by doing a search, and the most important thing when training is to make sure your eating healthy, Plenty of carbs and low fat will help you lose weight!.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Also you can use one of the races as a train up for the other one, Like the 3 peaks challenge could be your training race for the great north run.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Try stretching after a run, that can really help with muscle aches.
You should be able to find some good suggestions with Google.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brilliant thanks!

I've started incorporating squat training and other body weight exercises and my legs are starting to feel a bit better after running.

I suppose its normal to feel sore doing consistent running but want to be able to put the extra work into my training.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts