Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the beginning of the year I was very unfit and horribly overweight. I started to walk to work and back every day. At first the 3.25km walk took me almost an hour. I then got the walk down to 40 minutes and started to feel fitter and leaner. I then started to dream about being able to run. The dreams were brilliant. I felt so powerful and strong and exhilarated. I really wanted to run but didn't think I could. But then I just couldn't help myself and started to run a bit then walk a bit. Now, three/four times a week I run to work every morning and back again in the evening without stopping. Sometimes I extend my run on the way home as I am 2 stone lighter and I really do feel powerful and strong and exhilarated when I run. Is it okay to run in the morning and in the evening? I worry in case I am not allowing my body enough time to recover during runs. I have proper trainers now and my knees are grateful for them.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I think it is fine to run twice a day, as long as you aren't running a combined distance that you would struggle to complete in one session. I mean, if someone runs 10k a day, it wouldn't do them more damage if they ran that as two 5ks. As long as you have some rest or easy days to recover, it should be fine. If it's only 3k to your work, running there and back each day shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
What an inspirational story and congratulations.

As to running twice a day, there are some seasoned runners who do but I would be quite punishing. That said the distance is less than a 10k split in two?

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Sounds like you're managing the distances fine! I dream of running twice a day, and I certainly would do if I worked close enough to be able to run to & from work.

As JBBury says, as long as the overall distance isn;t more than you'd normaly be able to handle in a single session, you'll be fine! in fact a 5k, twice a day, would be easier on the body than a single 10k a day, I think!

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Sounds like you've progressed really welll and I admire you for runing to and from work.

I run twice a day twice a week....Tuesdays and Thursdays ( so I really ought to get out in a few mins!)...and think it is a great way of building stamina and strength.

I do agree with what others have already said though so don't do too much each day and maybe if you are increasing the distance of your runs home perhaps you shouldn't run to work on those days.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Sounds like your doing every thing right to me Lil.

Brilliant progress.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
it is much easier to do one longer run once a day than to do two shorter runs to make the same overall distance...

anyone who says different has clearly not been running enough ;)

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'd be very careful about running twice a day. Once you come back from a run your body starts to rest and repair any damage. It then has a good 24 hours to recover (including a nights sleep) before you go out for your next run (assuming you go out each day). If you run twice your body will have less time to recover.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I'm sure the professional distance athletes train more than once a day, since they are doing 100+ miles a week.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Well Done

Hi LIL

I read your message and firstly may I say good luck and well done with the weight loss. After months of work I'm just beginning to get to the level of being able to run home from work, 10K to get here I have shed 2 stone and still have a way to go.

You are so lucky to be able to do both. Use this advantage, and you will know if you’re over doing it as you'll feel very tired and ace.

Please excuse my assumption, but if you are a heavy runner monitor your foot wear, as a pair of shoes may be fine for the normal weight runners for some 500 miles, but as a heavy runner, this can be reduced to 200 miles in a worst case. Also please have your running style analysed and get the correct type of footwear.

Other than that, good luck, well done and happy safe running twice a day.

Peter Bowes
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Thats a good point Peter. My shoes are over 200 miles now and I have to say they don't feel as springy. I was kinda thinking I might get them looked at and you have decided to issue for me.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Shoes

Hi Hrun

One thing I have learnt is to pay particular attention to your footwear.

As a 20st plus runner, I have a pair of Nimbus 8, they look fine and are very comfy, but I was in my local running shop talking about shoes and he had a look at them, now I thought they were fine, they looked very clean and that, but the gel in them had started to fail and it was only by putting them on a bench you could tell.

This was not a sales trick, it was fact. I didn't buy there and then on the advice of Ed the sales assistant, I used another pair first then went back.

So new shoes for me and what a difference, also get your gait checked each time you buy, especilaly if you have lost or gained weight as it will change.

There words of wisdom from Peter, some say when I'm at yoga I am the budda! rotters:huh:

Safe running all

Peter Bowes:d

·
Registered
693 Posts
I always thought convential wisdom was to always have a rest day after a run? though of course that depends how fit you are. I cant imagine running every day at the moment let alone twice a day.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
convential wisdom tends to be hard/easy... when you're running twice a day though I've no idea if this means easy in the mornin and hard in the evenin every day... but I can't imagine it meaning two very hard sessions a day?

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Certainly easy first and then easy/tempo/easy for the second run for me.

Legs a bit sore today...just a 5miler for me later.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My run each day is only 6.5 km split in two. I think the suggestion that I shouldn't do in two sessions each day any more than I would do in one session is a good one. As far as resting after a run goes, I listen to my body and if I feel done in and my knees are crap going up and down stairs, I have a day off running & cycle instead.

I does get addictive though doesn't it? I left work early today to do very important personal things. I got home, thought sod it and went out for a 5km run. I wasn't going to run today but I heard the call. Not my most comfortable run but I managed it in 37 minutes which is not bad for me.:)

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Certainly is addictive lil....had to go out today even though legs were heavy and sore...didn't do planned 5m but did stumble round 3.55m.

Doubling up again tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts