Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

im just wondering what sort of speed you all class as running because i get really chuffed when i make a good distance at a constant pace and tell people that i "ran" 5 miles but i often wonder to myself am i really running??:embarrassed:

any thoughts?

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
It's a subjective matter really.

One person's run may be another person's jog.

I jog when I don't put any real effort in. Speed is not the issue as in a longer race I'm still putting effort in but am going slower than when doing, say, a 10k.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Jogging is running!!! it's just what some may class as a slow run - just as you'd class a sprint as a 'top speed' run.

So for all intents and purposes, you can say you've ran the 5 miles (unless of course you walked it... that's a different story altogether :p)

I think a run is classed as when you only have one foot on the ground at a time, with a moment between each footstep when no feet are on the ground, as opposed to walking where you always have at least one foot on the ground.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
When running, you actually break contact with the ground.
When walking, there is always some point of contact. That's when race-walkers get disqualified for what's known as "lifting". ;)

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
pedestrian said:
When running, you actually break contact with the ground.
When walking, there is always some point of contact. That's when race-walkers get disqualified for what's known as "lifting". ;)
..and there I was thinking "lifting" meant something else altogether!:embarrassed: ;)

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
richardsimkiss said:
Are you thinking of shirt lifting Steve :rolleyes:

Thanks for that Pedestrian, you managed to explain my thoughts far better than I could! Fancy a job? ;)

............. A job as the "explainer of your thoughts"?

I'm sure you don't really need anyone for that, Mr S.;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts